1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

can't copy files to internal memory

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by garybeck, Dec 25, 2012.

1. garybeck

garybeck Android Enthusiast

I am setting up the samsung galaxy tabs I gave my kids. Trying to copy some mp3 files to the music directory so they can have some music. I tried the USB cord and connected to my PC. I can see the device on the PC's file manager. But when I try to paste a file there, I get an error like it's write protected.

is the internal memory protected? I haven't put in a SDHC card yet and I wasn't planning on getting one right away, at least until the internal memory starts to get full.

I was able to paste files there if I used the wifi connection instead of USB. I downloaded ES File Manager app and it allowed me to paste files to the internal memory.

is there any reason why the USB connection won't let me do it but the wifi/ES will?

I'd really like to be able to use the USB connection to paste files to the device.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jwither

jwither Android Enthusiast

How did you install the driver for the device? I installed Samsung Kies for Windows, which included the appropriate driver(s), connected the device, then uninstalled Kies, leaving the driver.

Kies for Windows and Mac:

http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/

I use a Windows XP machine for the rare instances when I need to connect via USB. Most of the time I just use the Wifi connection and File Manager HD for moving/copying files around between systems.

In Windows XP, Device Manager, the driver provider is Samsung Elec., dated 8/31/12, version 2.9.505.831. I don't know if the driver version would be different for Vista, Windows 7, 8 etc., or 64 bit.

On a Windows Vista system, the driver provider is Microsoft, dated 6/21/06, version 6.0.6002.18112, and I surprisingly do have write permissions, to the internal Tablet\Music folder at least.

I think just because you can see it in Windows, doesn't mean the correct driver is installed.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews