1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Can't delete notifications, (Android 5.1) no delete option

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by ohm408, Mar 20, 2016.

1. ohm408

ohm408 Lurker
    None

Mar 20, 2016
    Male
    Good morning all,
    While I do not use Android phones and tablets to anywhere near their full potential, never in the last six years have I ever had a problem deleting notifications until I bought this (expletive deleted) Motorola with ( expletive deleted) Android 5.1 installed.
    To no avail, I Googled for about 40 minutes trying to find accurate instructions on how to delete notifications from Android 5.1. No, navigating to settings or clicking or swiping on or in the notification area did not work and still does not work. I would be most grateful for help that is succinct and help.

While I am not a computer guru, as some one who runs open-source encrypted Linux and Freebsd distros, beyond the ability of 70% of the country, one can understand why I am irate with this shameful Android 5.1 OS that has wasted so much time for no reason. Shame on you Google!

Again, I would be most grateful for help that is succinct and effective, unlike all Google post heretofore. I just want to delete notifications at will.

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    What notification exactly are you trying to dismiss, and can you provide a screenshot of the notification in question?

3. Parayilhussain

Parayilhussain Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 26, 2015
    Male
    Business
    Cochin
    Do you mean the notifications in locked screen, if you want to don't show this notification, go to settings>sound & notification>scroll down to notification>tap here and see the button " when device is locked>tap on this and select "don't show notifications at all".

4. ohm408

ohm408 Lurker
    None

Mar 20, 2016
    Male
    Parayilhussain
    Thanks for the response. You taught me something, so this thread is half solved.

chanchan05
    Thanks for the response. With all due respect, there is no way that I have the time and (to an exponentially greater degree) the inclination to go through the hassle of learning to a screenshot from a phone. It's only a phone,which I care nothing about. A screenshot from a computer would be no problem.

To all who would read this: I just want to delete notifications at will, period, nothing more, nothing less.
    That's it. In my mind, no one should be asking for clarity. It's an Android 5.1 pebble, puppy, whatever. I just want a succinct answer for deleting notifications. There really is no other simpler way to ask this.

Again, thanks for the responses.

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Because the simple answer is, there should be an x button on the upper right corner of the notification list. And swiping should work. That's why I an asking for a screenshot, to see what's different in your phone why it doesn't behave properly. You managed to Google for 40 minutes. Couldn't you Google for a minute how to take a screenshot? Press power and volume down. Or even take a picture of the phone. You need to help us help you.

Lollipop default is you have a clear all button and can swipe a notification to dismiss. I wanted to see if there was any indication on your device that points to a notification lock.

Plus I also wanted to see WHAT the notifications in question were, since you didn't answer that. There are some notifications that are not dismissable inherently.

El Presidente, Dannydet and AZgl1500 like this.
  6. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    if you don't have the time to learn how to hold down the Home Button and press the Power button Simultaneously to save a Screenshot, then why should we take the time to explain it to you?

chanchan05 and Dannydet like this.
  7. Parayilhussain

Parayilhussain Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 26, 2015
    Male
    Business
    Cochin
    Hi,do you want to stop complete notifications coming in screen, go to settings>sound & notifications>notification>app notification ,tap and see the list of apps that making notifications, tap on the app from which don't want notification, and tap on the "Block" button..