• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cant delete texts in Eris stock messenger!

Blondie7303

Lurker
Aug 10, 2010
I cannot erase any texts in my Eris!! Whether I select just one person (and therefore one thread) to delete or deleting my entire inbox, my phone locks up, messaging crashes/force closes. My phone is incredibly slow and I'm assuming the plethora of messages is at least partially to blame. Please help!:thinking:

Upvote 0
I cannot erase any texts in my Eris!! Whether I select just one person (and therefore one thread) to delete or deleting my entire inbox, my phone locks up, messaging crashes/force closes. My phone is incredibly slow and I'm assuming the plethora of messages is at least partially to blame. Please help!:thinking:

Hello Blondie.

It sounds like messages have built up to a level in your Eris that is causing system lag. There are a few things you can do to remedy that, some mentioned in this thread already.

If it were mine doing that (and it never has because I don't allow my message or email total to go above 50, keeping up with deletions ;)), I'd first go into menu > settings > applications > application manager and clear caches on everything that comes up in the top 10 after hitting menu > sort by size.

Then I'd clear data on messaging and gmail and email.

Then I'd to a live battery pull (remove the battery while the device is running, leave it out for a minute or so the put it back in and reboot).

If all is well I'd skip the factory data reset and just keep up with deleting messages often.

If no joy I'd do a back up of apps and gmail, etc, then do that reset: menu > privacy > factory reset.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones