1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Can't do fastboot or recovery mode HELP

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by CrimsonShade09, Aug 30, 2016.

1. CrimsonShade09

None

Aug 30, 2016
    Male
    Android Phone: ASUS Zenfone 2 Laser 5.0 (ROOTED)
    Android Firmware: 5.0.2 Lollipop

Aim: To enter into Fastboot mode and Recovery Mode without problems
    Situation: Recently installed TWRP Recovery in-app and through software, but when I try to enter in Fastboot Mode (HOLD POWER & VOLUMEUP) or even Recovery Mode (HOLD POWER & VOLUMEDOWN), I just end up in a hanged out ASUS Logo. I can't do anything except pulling out the battery myself and putting it back then booting the device through power button to boot it normally. I don't know if it's the problem with the model, or the phone's system itself, or it's just a bug, or a problem when I rooted my device through ADB.
    (Note: When I rooted the device, I wasn't even able to see the blue "FASTBOOT MODE" when I tried it, I only saw the ASUS logo as well.)

Can anyone please help me? I still hope that I just don't know how to properly access the two modes, and that it isn't in my system's fault. I want to get the best out of my rooted device so I REALLY want to find out the problem in my fastboot and recovery.

I don't have a picture of what it looks like from myself. The link below and it's picture is not mine but this is what my device looks like when I try to do fastboot and recovery.
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/T5GlOGbL4Lc/maxresdefault.jpg

Advertisement

#1 CrimsonShade09, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  2. Bg260

Bg260  
    VIP Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Freelance Entrepreneur
    Lincoln
    Did you unlock the Bootloader first?

3. CrimsonShade09

None

Aug 30, 2016
    Male
    I can't access the bootloader either, I need to access the Fastboot mode so I can unlock the bootloader.

#3 CrimsonShade09, Aug 30, 2016
  4. CrimsonShade09

None

Aug 30, 2016
    Male
    I'm trying to fix it right now, I'm stuck with the ASUS Logo again, do you guys have an idea about this? Particularly, what problem is exactly behind this? Please reply, I don't have any expert personally nearby so I rely on the people in forums.
    Bg260, can I get a way to chat with you through email? I want to ask proffessional help

5. Bg260

Bg260  
    VIP Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Freelance Entrepreneur
    Lincoln
    That's not the Bootloader that I am talking about. I'm referring to the one that will not let you flash anything.

6. Bg260

Bg260  
    VIP Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Freelance Entrepreneur
    Lincoln
    #6 Bg260, Aug 30, 2016
    Jfalls63 likes this.
  7. CrimsonShade09

None

Aug 30, 2016
    Male
    I'm sorry, but when you said I should return it to stock, do you mean by unrooting my device? Or is the method where you must go into download mode, download the firmware then install it? Because if the method that I needed to do is the second, I get stuck because I can't access download mode/recovery mode either, the ASUS logo just hangs out.

I don't have a picture of what it looks like from myself. The link below and it's picture is not mine but this is what my device looks like when I try to do fastboot and recovery.
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/T5GlOGbL4Lc/maxresdefault.jpg

One of my research was from : http://forum.xda-developers.com/zen...guide-how-to-revert-to-stock-reflash-t3365237

"For Stock/Non-TWRP Users
    The procedure is a little long here ==>
    1. Download the official firmware from asus website.
    2. Copy the firmware to the Micro-SD and rename the file (firmware) by one more(version).This renaming should be according to your current firmware version.If you have 17.something firmware and you download 16.something firmware then rename the 16.x.x file to some thing like 17.x.x For eg. if you have 1.17.40.763 then rename 16.x.x file to 1.17.40.764.
    3. Reboot the phone.Android should automatically find the update file and offer to automatically update the software.Do it !!
    4. Go to stock Recovery and wipe cache , dalvik cache and data.
    5. Reboot device. Your phone will now be unrooted(if it was rooted before)."

It said that I need to go to Stock Recovery, however in my case I can't go to stock recovery or even TWRP Recovery. How can I revert it back to stock when I can't even do stock recovery?

#7 CrimsonShade09, Aug 30, 2016
  8. Bg260

Bg260  
    VIP Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Freelance Entrepreneur
    Lincoln
    It is all becoming abundantly clear to me. . . how about you. Time to face the facts. I'm sorry. Keep digging around that forum.

9. CrimsonShade09

None

Aug 30, 2016
    Male
    I don't get what you said. I'm sorry I'm really overwhelmed with this whole root thing but still I want to work on it. What do you mean when you said 'Time to face the facts. I'm sorry'. Is my phone's system the problem or I'm doing something wrong, looking for something wrong, or anything. Can my phone still be fixed? I don't think it's a brick because I can use it normally, the only problem is only when I try to do fastboot or recovery mode.

10. Bg260

Bg260  
    VIP Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Freelance Entrepreneur
    Lincoln
    Ha, I thought you were Bootlooped. Good, I have tried to give you the resources. The people that can help you are in the link I posted. I saw your other thread in our device forum. Not a lot going on there is there? If you want help....... XDA has an entire forum devoted to your device. I tried to point you in the right direction.
    You flashed recovery on a locked bootloader. That is a huge mistake.
    I wish I could tell you what to do but I can't.

CrimsonShade09 likes this.
  11. CrimsonShade09

None

Aug 30, 2016
    Male
    So dumb question, The problem is what I did, not the system itself, is that it? And does it mean that it can still be fixed? I already posted a thread in XDADevelopers and I really hope someone would help.
    Here is the link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/zenfone-2-laser/help/ze500kl-access-fastboot-recovery-mode-t3451736
    Also, what do you mean I flashed recovery and locked the bootloader? If I locked the bootloader and can't access recovery unlike the other ZE500KL users, what should I do?

Btw, I'm still downloading the stock firmware of the device, should I still follow what you mentioned wherein you said I should 'Start at the beginning and return to stock. Then unlock the bootloader'?

12. Bg260

Bg260  
    VIP Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Freelance Entrepreneur
    Lincoln
    You need to read, read, read, read, read, read. That's how we learn. Google the word Bootloader. Read through every comment in the thread. Look up the word Bork!

13. CrimsonShade09

None

Aug 30, 2016
    Male
    Okay this is what I understand as of yet, You said that I flashed the recovery on a locked bootloader, in which based on your knowledge, will "Bork" the device, meaning that it would be irreversibly damaged. So now I can conclude that my device will not be able to acces TWRP Recovery, CWM, Stock Recovery, and the Fastboot because I damaged it? And that I no longer have the ability to install custom ROMS and even Xposed? If that is the case, would that be the same if I would Hard Factory Reset the device? Or the reset would not be able to make up for the damage?

14. CrimsonShade09

None

Aug 30, 2016
    Male
    Research: https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...with-a-locked-bootloader-via-fastboot.319467/

"If you want to backup any data, learn how to use adb. Especially the "adb pull" command.

You will need adb drivers though. Use this guide: http://visualgdb.com/tutorials/android/usbdebug/manualinstall.php

Then you can unlock your bootloader, install a different recovery, flash another OS and set up your phone again."

Can I do this in my case? Through ADB? Because last time I used ADB and typed commands like the boot recovery and boot bootloader, still same results

Also, can you please check if I can do this? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2425581

#14 CrimsonShade09, Aug 30, 2016