1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Can't download any apps..

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by tmorales509, Jun 22, 2016.

1. tmorales509

tmorales509 Member
    None

Dec 26, 2012
    So this is really annoying, I just got this phone not to long ago and after only downloading a couple apps i cannot download anymore. It always says i don't have enough space. As you can see from the screenshot it says i have 222MB but it wont let me download a 5MB app which is weird and over 4GB takin up by "other" which im guessing is the OS? The apps i have downloaded i already moved to my sd card but it wont let me delete or move any of the other apps to my sd card, the only options are to uninstall updates which doesnt help. Anyway to delete these apps i dont use that came with the phone or is there any way to install apps directly to the sd card without having to download them to the phone and then move them?

Running Android 5.0.2
    HTC Desire 816

Attached Files:

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    That looks normal behavior. The phone will prevent you from using any more memory once it reaches a certain threshold because it reserves a specific amount of memory for the temp files and temp cache that apps generate while in use. You just hit that limit. If there is no space for such, the apps will just crash. And there is a chance the phone itself will crash. You are also using 3.2GB for apps. That is hardly a couple of apps. You could fit like 50 apps using that much space. Although of course that depends on what apps.

Basically, you just got hit by 'Cheap Phone Syndrome'. Your device is pretty low end and cheap, hence low available memory and you have to make compromises. If you wanted to achieve more, you should have acquired something with more memory like 16 or 32GB. Or you can attempt to partially move some apps to SD card but it won't help much.

3. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Android Expert

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    Well there's good news and bad news. The good news is that yout HTC Desire 816 is in line for the marshmallow update. The Marshmallow update will give you better memory management allowing you to use your SD card as internal storage. THe bad news is the the HTC Updates page lists Marshmallow for the HTC 816 as in development so there's no current timeline of when you can use it. http://htc.youmobile.org/ you'll have to scroll down a bit to fond your model.

4. tmorales509

tmorales509 Member
    None

Dec 26, 2012
    Chanchan05, yes the 3.2GB of apps is apps that were already on the phone when i got it such as Google App, Google Play Books, Drive app, Scribble, Zoe video editor, etc. A lot of stuff i dont ever use but it wont let me delete or move any of them only disable or uninstall updates which i have already did and doesnt help. I don't want to install a crap load of apps, i dont even really play games on my phone. But once i awhile i will try to install a app and it will say that i dont have enough space. The only apps that i have that i actually downloaded myself are facebook, instagram, and like 2-3 other 1MB apps..

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    There are only 3 things you can do at this point:

1. Buy a replacement with bigger memory.
    2. Uninstall/disable more stuff.
    3. Flash a marshmallow ROM on it (voids warranty I think).

6. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    Most of that 3.2 GB is used by system bloatware, that can't be removed unless you root it. Get rid of the Facebook app and access it from a browser instead.