• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't download anything from android market using wifi

I have HTC Inspire 4G which I've had since about May. I never had problems with wifi before and always use wifi to download apps, since i go through 2g of data pretty quit without it.

I got my Inspire back from HTC yesterday, and it looks beautiful (repaired a screen crack), but now I'm having this exact same problem. I am able to download apps from 3g, but if I do that with all the apps I have to reinstall, I'm going to be hard pressed for data later in the month!

I'm not sure why it would come back with this issue!

Upvote 0
Whose service do you people have? I see someone mentioned Verizon. I use TMobile, and the wifi download starts promptly and keeps on. And that includes some large apps.

TMO is GSM, and they also had the UMA wifi on phones. My SGS4G does wifi calling.

The same goes for the wifi tablet on the apps I can download. (Market has a bad habit of saying things won't run and the app runs fine sideloaded)

Upvote 0
Same problem here. But not always... :thinking:
3 out of 4 times over WiFi the Market has issues. Sometimes the whole Market doesn't load, and when it does, the selected app starts to download but never completes it. This is not only on my home WiFi, but also on my office WiFi, other offices' WiFi, and even on public hotspots.

Rebooting the phone may solve the issue in a technical sense, once..., but it's inconvenient and it's counterproductive because it delays everything considerably: the whole procedure should take 5 to 60 seconds (depending on the size of the app you download of course), but IRL takes maybe up to 5 minutes if you have to go through the whole rebooting process too.

Switching off WiFi and downloading via 3G is a much faster work-around. But 3G is slower than WiFi, which ought to work. One: because that's what you got both WiFi and that phone for, two: because that's what you were sold, and three: because downloading apps means downloading relatively big files – data – which are very expensive bits and bytes if you do it over 3G, as it eats into your mobile dataplan!
And you have to remember to switch WiFi back on too! Which you don't. You forget. And before you remember you have already spent much longer on 3G than necessary: expensive!

Imo the onus is on the Market (Google) and the providers to solve this problem. Not on the customers. You and me. There's nothing wrong on our side: we can surf the internet on our phones very nicely, thank you very much. So if Google and the providers don't solve this problem it ceases to be a temporary 'spot of bother' and turns into a defacto defective product with all the associated liabilities...

Upvote 0
Having read this thread, I put a debug on my router and found that DNS lookup was being blocked.

This is beacuse Android appears to use TCP while evrerything else I own use UDP. I added an entry in my firewall to allow DNS over TCP and now everything works fine.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones