• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can't download from app market - and no backup!?!

Hi all...I hope someone can help with my problem.

Background: After my stock phone 'crashed' last week I have spent a few days on the forum's and have learnt how to fix it.... First I created a goldcard and recovered the device using a stock WWE ROM (updated device using the PB.zip method). This all seemed fine, so then decided to use enrevoked3 to root....this went fine and I ended up with rooted version of a stock WWE ROM (I think?). It wasn’t until I decided to install a custom ROM (starting with a backup) that I found I couldn’t download anything from the app market!

I thought it was unrevoked that had caused the problem so re-flashed the WWE ROM, but found I still had the same issue (an no longer a rooted device :().

After researching on the forums it looks like I’m missing the gtalk.apk which is used by the app store (does this mean the WWE ROM I have is not up to date or complete?) However, this isnt so much of a problem if you reinstall the gtalkservices.apk, but after trying 3 different apk files from 3 different threads on this subject I still am unable to download anything from the app store :( (the apk's wont install and just come up with an error - 'application wont install' - also I tried this on the phone when it was rooted and after I reflashed back to the WWE ROM)

Can anyone suggest how I fix this?? I dont have a stock ROM that I can flash back to and I didnt have a backup of my original ROM as I hadn't expected to need it (as before last week my phone was 02 stock).

As a thought I wonder if I re-root with unrevoked and then installed a custom ROM (not the WWE ROM I currently have, something like Cyanogen or Miui) that maybe this would solve the problem assuming the custom ROM I installed included all the relevant gtalk apk’s etc??

I have tried to find the solution without posting another thread, but none of the other threads I have read seem to cover the same issue (most of the solutions are either re-flash your previos ROM, which I cant do, or install the apk, which doesnt seem to work..)

any and all help much appreciated :thinking:

so incase anyone else has similar issues....this worked for me;

1) go to settings>applications>manage applications>all>google services framework>clear data
2) go to settings>applications>manage applications>all>market>clear cache and force close
3) go to settings>applications>manage applications>all>market>clear cache and clear data
4) Reboot phone
5) Open and sign out of GTalk, then re-open and sign in.
6) Open Market and accept agreement. Let it load your apps. Close Market.
7) Go to market.android.com and sign in. Go to My Market Account>Settings tab>Edit>Nickname your phone and click Update.
8) Install an app from market.android.com.

except i missed out step 5 as i dont have gtalk...

thanks Rastaman-fb for the initial help..

Upvote 0
I had several APPS that the market seemed unable to find anymore, even after I had downloaded them. The simple steps the chillipepper outlined did the trick. Google as usual offered no help, except a reminder to be sure I was running an "approved" ROM which I am not.

This solution should definitely be flagged.

PS. I don't have GTALK and apparently don't need it. Only steps 1-4 were needed.

Upvote 0
so incase anyone else has similar issues....this worked for me;

1) go to settings>applications>manage applications>all>google services framework>clear data
2) go to settings>applications>manage applications>all>market>clear cache and force close
3) go to settings>applications>manage applications>all>market>clear cache and clear data
4) Reboot phone
5) Open and sign out of GTalk, then re-open and sign in.
6) Open Market and accept agreement. Let it load your apps. Close Market.
7) Go to market.android.com and sign in. Go to My Market Account>Settings tab>Edit>Nickname your phone and click Update.
8) Install an app from market.android.com.

except i missed out step 5 as i dont have gtalk...

thanks Rastaman-fb for the initial help..

Its worth noting that clear data assumes clear cache.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones