This problem is solved but I wanted to document it here in case anyone else had the same issue. Yesterday, I decided I was too impatient to wait for 4.3 to download on its own so I remembered the trick where you clear data from Google Services Framework and make the tablet recheck the server for the new firmware. Because I was feeling clever and too cool for school, I went into my Settings/Apps/All and cleared the data on Google Services Framework, or so I thought. I actually did it on the Google Play Services accidentally. Crap. OK, no biggie I fixed my mistake by clearing the correct data and checked for the update. Nope. Oh well. Next time I tried installing anything from Google Play, I was greeted with a server error RPC:S-5:AEC-0. Crap. I couldn't update existing apps or install new ones. This bugged me so I did a Google search and found this: Android Fix: "RPC:S-5:AEC-0" error while updating or installing apps Google Play Store | AppsLova Method 1: Open system settings Go to Applications (or Apps) >> All From all apps select Google Play Store >> Clear Cache and Uninstall updates Again, from All>>Download Manager >> Clear Cache and Data Finally, All >> Google Services Framework >> Clear Cache and Data Now, rerun Google play store. Method 2: Go to system settings>> Accounts>>Google>>remove your Gmail account Now from settings>>Apps>>All> Force stop, Clear data and cache for Google Play Store, Google Service Framework and Download Manager (like in method 1) Now again go to settings>> Accounts>>Google>>Add your gmail account Restart your android and then accept all the Google terms and setup Google settings Rerun Google Play Store and update or install your app. There are two methods in there and Method 1 seems pretty easy so I tried that. No joy. I had to reboot because Google Play was force closing and still had no success. On to Method 2 which involved removing your Google Account from the tablet and then re-adding it. I wasn't happy doing that but it didn't seem to delete anything unrecoverable and better yet it worked! Interestingly Google Play hasn't updated to the latest version and I find the old one so much nicer to use, but that's another thread on another day. So that's my yarn. I'm not positive I caused this issue by clearing the wrong data or if it was just a coincidence but I feel it right to document in case there is a correlation.