• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't download marketplace apps?

MrIphone

Jun 30, 2010
Ok, so I just got my streak on O2 - first thing I did was install 2.1 on it.

when trying to sign into my googlemail account, it kept saying I had no connection (even though I was on wifi, and the browser worked on both streak and my mbp). After trying and try I decided to use the O2 sim that came with the phone (i was using my previous one still on iphone tarrif) and turned off wifi - this allowed me to sign into the market.

I found a handful of apps I wanted to download, but when I go to the download page, they all just say "starting download", the bars are animated but nothing is happening. I have tried this with both wifi on and off.

Is this a 2.1 issue?

I love the phone/tablet (phablet?) but not having access to the marketplace sucks! I also can't sync my contacts!

Help!

I had this issue after updating to 2.1, it just gets stuck at the starting stage of the download. Me being impatient I assumed that it was broken from the update.
I canceled the download a couple of times, and in the end I think I just left it for a while.
Try downloading any small application and just leaving the Streak to do it's thing with the download. You can always uninstall the app anyway.
Once it has downloaded that one item it will be fine with other Market apps.

Upvote 0
My Archos used to suffer the same fate with the hacked market installed on it. One thing that works for me most of the time is whilst the download is starting, go back to the homescreen and start the "Talk" instant messaging app, let it log in and the download seems to start.

I picked that tip up from an Archos forum and it hasn't let me down so far.

Upvote 0
I have a brand new Galaxy S

can't download any application. I use Google Apps for e-mail so I can't rename from Gmail to googlemail.

At any case it's absurd this is happening.

Google has admitted the problem, said it was fixed last week but it's clearly not!

I've seen hundreds of complaints about this. Hard to believe it's not fixed yet.

I'm sure Android is great and has a lot of potential but this kind of crap clearly shows why Apple still has a huge market: it simply works.

I'm pretty confident with computers but if I can't fix it in a day, I'm sure 90% of the average users I know will never leave there B/B or Apple when they hear about this.

Meanwhile, is there another easy way to get apps without having to deal with Android market or the SDK?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones