• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help cant download mms - check APN settings and retry

J S Machine

Jul 28, 2010
I recently updated my phone from 6.0.1 to 7.0. I had been putting it off because I had been really busy and also for the second reason which I thought would happen: It has asked me to do a system update every day for the last week. Seriously, that is ********. Why can't the phone just update all at once??

Anyway, The error message in the title of this thread started showing up about then. "can't download mms - check APN settings and retry"

I have been on the phone with Verizon tech support on several occasions, and so far, the only thing that fixes it, although only temporary, is going through backup and reset and resetting all network connections. This will enable the phone to send and receive picture messages again, but in a day or so, I get that error again. If I go back and look at everything I have recently sent, it all has a red box with exclamation point in it.

What could be causing this?

I also use a text app called Chomp. It needed an update, so I did that, and that seemed to fix it for about two days, but it is back to doing it again. There is no update needed for Chomp, or my phone, seeing how I am updating it daily now.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones