1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

"Can't establish a reliable data connection"

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by marrz, Apr 14, 2012.

1. marrz

marrz Lurker

I have a Samsung Galaxy Gio with Android 2.3.4. I'm on the Bell Mobility (Canada) network. I was having trouble with Market not working. It would say "Loading" for a long time and then it would say connection timed out. So I did a hard factory reset and now I can't add my google account. Every time I try this message comes up "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server. I am using this phone on wifi. I know I have a good connection because I can browse. I don't have a data plan so I can't try that. I tried reset my phone again but have had the same results. Does any one know of anything that I could try? Your help is greatly appreciated.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Logan47

Logan47 Android Enthusiast

It can happen when you are trying to connect and add your account with only wifi. I had to turn airplane mode off and be connected to the network and make sure system time was set correctly for it to work for me when this happened some months back.

3. marrz

marrz Lurker

Okay I tried it again. Flight mode is turned off and I am connected to the network, but it still doesn't work.

4. Logan47

Logan47 Android Enthusiast

Racerx2oo3 likes this.
  5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

You might want to check your router's firewall and see if port 5228 is being blocked. The Market (Google Play) uses ftp port 5228 for data transfers. IF your router is blocking it, a wifi connection will fail to get apps, but still be able to connect to the internet.

With home router's there are generally two security schemes. The first is to block incoming ports but open all outgoing. The other is to block both incoming and outgoing, except for the most common. This second one proves to be problematic if an app is looking for data on an uncommon port.