• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't find Hotmail App

papionerd

Lurker
Nov 30, 2011
Got my GN on opening day and got almost everything loaded but when I access the market I can't find the Hotmail App. Had it on my OG droid and it's in the chrome access point of the android market but I can't find it through my G-nex. Also I have the same sound issues with 4g to 3g switches. Can anyone help me with the hotmail issue?

The Hotmail app does work better for accessing Hotmail; more features and folders. Using the stock email app in Android doesn't do all that, or at least it doesn't on my Droid Incredible.

I don't have a GN yet, but here. See if you can install the Hotmail app from here. Let me know if it works or not so I'll know for myself.

Upvote 0
yeah, the actual hotmail app is a lot better...especially for the search capabilities. seems it's not out yet for ICS...I found an apk and installed it, but you don't get the search functionality. my guess is that they're working on integrating it with some of the new common search functionality in ICS before they re-release it. uninstalling till then...

Upvote 0
I searched for hotmail in the browser market place and then it said hotmail is not supported for Nexus.

hotmail app was great because the regular email app didn't work that well in my previous android device (htc and sony ericsson)

The new email app in nexus works great with hotmail. It even does push so there is no need to sync every hour or so. I probably won't need to install the hotmail app anymore like I needed to in the past.

Upvote 0
The Hotmail app does work better for accessing Hotmail; more features and folders. Using the stock email app in Android doesn't do all that, or at least it doesn't on my Droid Incredible.

I don't have a GN yet, but here. See if you can install the Hotmail app from here. Let me know if it works or not so I'll know for myself.

The new email app in ICS in excellent. Nothing at all like anything you're used on the Inc (I had an Inc too). This new one is very similar to the Hotmail app minus the ugly orange notification :p

Push is excellent, folder navigation as well, mark read, moving emails, etc... It's really good imo and am so happy they have improved this ten fold over GBread!

Upvote 0
Well colour me confused.

You can get all the emails etc? Is it EAS? Does it delete on the server if you delete it from your phone? I was explicitly told that Hotmail didn't do it...it was either POP which left things on the server, or EAS which gave you calendar and contacts but didn't show proper images and links, just text.

I didn't even try it on my Nexus on the basis of what I was told, I guess I better go try it out. Thanks.

edit

Boy do I feel silly for not trying that! It works a charm....can't think of a reason to even bother with the Hotmail app when it is updated....fantastic!

Upvote 0
I picked my Galaxy Nexus up yesterday and installed the Hotmail app via a backup from my Incredible. The stock email app in ICS does work a lot better and have more features/functions than in previous versions.

I still like the Hotmail app as well because most of the screens are black which helps on battery usage. I also like the Quiet Time setting which turns off notifications during any set time frame that the user sets up. I don't see where I can do this in the stock email app nor in the Gmail app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones