1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Can't find Samsung Apps to download TTS file for better voice on Nav

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cassnate6259, Feb 11, 2014.

1. cassnate6259

cassnate6259 Member
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    My current nav voice is the awful robot woman. A while back, I started an account on Samsung Apps, and now I can't seem to find it anywhere. I also checked the app manager and made sure it wasn't disabled. It was nowhere to be found.

I also have tried going to the TTS settings where I can try to select a high-quality language to download, but it simply does nothing when I click the button to tell it to download, clearly not finding the Samsung Apps store.

I do already have the UK version of the voice, but I am assuming that doesn't work in nav, because it still plays the terrible voice, unless, is there some other way to change it to the UK voice?

In short, I would love to either use the UK high-quality voice on Nav, or be able to download the english voice via Samsung Apps so that I can get a high quality voice during navigation. Either voice (US or UK) option is fine by me as long as I have the better voice, although the UK voice would be ideal. Any ideas what I could do? Thanks!

Side note: I do have the High-quality UK voice selected as my TTS voice, but it still plays the robot woman's voice in nav.

Advertisement

2. drexappeal

drexappeal Android Expert

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    Samsung HD Voice selections are not connected to NAV. Built in Nav is Google's app, not Samsung's.

Download this:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.tts&hl=en

After you download, select Google Engine over the Samsung engine as the text to speech engine. That might help, but when I tested right now, I'm not sure it changed anything. I use Waze (which is Google owned anyway) and that has much better voice options.

-EDIT- Nevermind, I just tested by changing from English US to English UK (with the Google engine) and nothing changed. Some people use Ivona

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ivona.tts

Not sure if that will change the voice in Nav, either, but I guess it's worth a download and setup. If it doesn't work, you could just uninstall.

-EDIT- Okay, Ivona didn't change nav voice either.

3. drexappeal

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
  4. cassnate6259

cassnate6259 Member
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Ah! Thank you! Looks like I now have the high quality "US English Google" voice. Much better! I guess it was Samsung that was giving me the bad voice.

I might try installing the other voices, but for now, this is great, thanks!

5. drexappeal

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    So the Google TTS engine actually worked?

6. cassnate6259

cassnate6259 Member
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Yes, sounds like it! The voice is much less robotic now.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 launched in 2012 and was the company's flagship phablet. The device featured a 5.7-inch display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 13MP main camera.