• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Can't Find Sprint HTC Hero Data Cable

Zinja

Feb 15, 2010
As you know the data cable that comes with the phone has a unique slant to it and the bottom right corner. I have yet to locate this exact cable on any of the major shopping sites.

Many people claim that a standard mini USB plug will fit and charge the phone. Will it also sync data?

I would prefer to get a link to the exact cable that came with the phone, and also to find out if people can honestly verify that standard mini USB plugs not intended for this device will at least charge it.

Here is the official answer I received from a USB company.

Thank you for choosing USBFireWire – We are thrilled to serve you!
The USB port on your phone is a proprietary USB port – designed by HTC.

Though we do not carry a cable that has that specific connector, according to our research, any of our regular USB Mini-B connector cables should plug-in and work with your phone.

Link: USB A to Mini B Cables (5 pin) - Right Angle USB Cables, Short USB Cables - USB Angled A to Angled Mini-B

Please let me know if there is anything else we can do to accommodate you.

Upvote 0
This is good to know. Why did HTC insist on using a proprietary design? Did they plan on starting a side business in usb cables? You'd think they'd be busy enough building new Android phones every 6 months.

The HTC port also has audio and video. There's a docking station available in Europe that has audio and video RCA connections that'll allow you to connect your Hero (or other HTC phone with the funky USB port) to a tv or stereo.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones