• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't for the life of me figure out how to uninstall Google Voice

bamhm182

May 5, 2011
I got Google Voice yesterday. I like the phone side of things, however, I hate the messaging side of things. It makes it so the only program that receives texts is Google Voice. I want to default SMS client to have a copy of all texts received (Like ChompSMS lets it do) GV doesn't let me receive MMS. I prefer the look of other SMS clients over GV. So even though I like the phone side of things, the SMS side of things makes me want to uninstall it. However, it won't let me. Does anyone know how to uninstall Google Voice? I see a "factory data reset" option in the menu and I'm VERY tempted to click it...

I got Google Voice yesterday. I like the phone side of things, however, I hate the messaging side of things. It makes it so the only program that receives texts is Google Voice. I want to default SMS client to have a copy of all texts received (Like ChompSMS lets it do) GV doesn't let me receive MMS. I prefer the look of other SMS clients over GV. So even though I like the phone side of things, the SMS side of things makes me want to uninstall it. However, it won't let me. Does anyone know how to uninstall Google Voice? I see a "factory data reset" option in the menu and I'm VERY tempted to click it...

I actually just responded to this on a different thread but I'll write it here too for anyone visiting this thread with the same problem. Go to GV on a computer and disable sprint integration under settings, then it will only use GV for voicemails.

Reactions: bamhm182
Upvote 0
Ah, sorry, I missed the original post. I appreciate it. I wonder why google doesn't give you all the settings from your phone? Would that make too much sense or something? >_<

EDIT: To further help anyone in this predicament, do the following:

1. Sign into google
2. Go to: https://www.google.com/voice#phones/1
3. Put a check mark next to "Receive text messages on this phone"
4. Click Save

Upvote 0
Ah, sorry, I missed the original post. I appreciate it. I wonder why google doesn't give you all the settings from your phone? Would that make too much sense or something? >_<

EDIT: To further help anyone in this predicament, do the following:

1. Sign into google
2. Go to: https://www.google.com/voice#phones/1
3. Put a check mark next to "Receive text messages on this phone"
4. Click Save

You can do those steps you just posted from your phone in the android GV app.

Go to settings... sync and notfications.. and there is a check box there for that same option, it is listed as notify via text message.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones