• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't format sd card as adoptive storage

deltabravo88

Sep 24, 2011
I am trying to set up my sd card as adoptive storage as I now have android marshmallow 6.0 however when I insert the sd card there is no option to set it up as internal storage. I am using the Vodafone smart ultra 6. See attachments

Many thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170309-222222.png
    Screenshot_20170309-222222.png
    201.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot_20170301-073902.png
    Screenshot_20170301-073902.png
    114 KB · Views: 151
I am trying to set up my sd card as adoptive storage as I now have android marshmallow 6.0 however when I insert the sd card there is no option to set it up as internal storage. I am using the Vodafone smart ultra 6. See attachments

Many thanks
A whole bunch of ODMs have disabled adoptable storage because they think we are morons and don't know how that we can't remove the card after setting it up. I have 3 phones with Nougat and none of them allow it.

Upvote 0
Rooting is device-specific and I'm afraid I don't know that device. If you can unlock the bootloader and someone has built a custom recovery for that model (has to be for the particular model, do NOT try to install a recovery built for a different device) then rooting should be possible.

But that won't give you adoptable storage - you'd need to replace the OS with a version which supported that. However there are other options if you can get root.

Upvote 0
What do you want to achieve that way?

It's easy to look up the full list of adb commands and hence see whether there is one that does what you want. Note though that if the command refers to a feature that isn't supported by your OS version, or requires privileges that you don't have, then it won't work.

adb shell
sm list-disks
sm partition <DISK> private
reboot

Would that work?

Upvote 0
I don't know, because I don't know what device you have. Paul O'Brien has posted that as a method for some Samsungs, but it doesn't automatically mean it will work on other devices. It would depend on what your manufacturer removed, i.e. whether they just removed it from the menu but left everything else in place, or whether they expunged it more thoroughly from the system.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
I don't know, because I don't know what device you have. Paul O'Brien has posted that as a method for some Samsungs, but it doesn't automatically mean it will work on other devices. It would depend on what your manufacturer removed, i.e. whether they just removed it from the menu but left everything else in place, or whether they expunged it more thoroughly from the system.
OK I have the Vodafone smart ultra 6.

Is there a way to find out what the manufacturer had removed? Or would I just have to try it out and hope it works?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones