1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can't get adb console to talk with phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SkinJob, May 24, 2011.

1. SkinJob

SkinJob Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm trying to recover from a fatal issue where my (rooted) HTC Desire won't get past the HTC Logo boot screen. It'll go into the ClockworkMod HBOOT screen (0.83.0001), where the options are "FASTBOOT/RECOVERY/CLEAR STORAGE/SIMLOCK". But it will reboot when RECOVERY mode is selected. This leaves fewer options for fixing the issue; namely linking the phone to the PC. However... I can't get ADB to link with the phone, while the phone is connected via USB and in HBOOT screen. When I use the command "adb devices", the "list of devices" returned is blank. Likewise, the command "adb remount" returns "error: device not found". When I use the command "fastboot devices", I get this in return: SH09ER801629

I have the latest version of HTC Sync. It won't recognize any phone connected (not surprising, as I can't start the phone, only put it into the HBOOT screen or the HTC Logo screen). But in Windows XP Device Manager, under "Android USB Devices", there is an entry called "My HTC". Presumably, this is possible via the drivers installed with HTC. (I read somewhere that the Desire requires the HTC Sync drivers, not the Google USB drivers, for use with adb console).

Any clue as to how I can repair this issue? Does adb require booting into the OS in order to connect, or can it connect in HBOOT? :thinking: Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. InfernalByte

InfernalByte Android Expert

Don't know much about this but don't you need to be in FASTBOOT not Hboot?

3. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

And yes you need the hboot drivers.

Anyway, already advised you best bet is to RUU. What are you going to.do with adb?

4. SkinJob

Are you referring to the drivers that come with HTC Sync? Because that's been installed.

I'm sure I'm missing something here, but again, I'm very rusty. I was using adb console to get the ClockworkMod HBOOT screen into recovery mode, so I can flash a new OS or nand backup. Now I've downloaded the RUU "Froyo for TELUS.exe" (though the phone originally came with Eclair for TELUS installed). But how do I install it if I can't get into RECOVERY mode in HBOOT? Isn't it installed by flashing via RECOVERY option in HBOOT? It appears I can only get fastboot commands from the adb sdk kit to "see" the phone, and not adb commands. Still, wouldn't that mean the drivers are working?

5. SkinJob

Maybe I'm not understanding the terms.... when I hit vol. dn.+power I'm in HBOOT.

If I choose "FASTBOOT" I get the options "BOOTLOADER/REBOOT/REBOOT BOOTLOADER/POWER DOWN". None of these options seem to do anything useful. ("BOOTLOADER" goes back to the previous screen, that has "FASTBOOT/RECOVERY/CLEAR STORAGE/SIMLOCK". "REBOOT" reboots the phone, and we're stuck on the logo again. "REBOOT BOOTLOADER" just refreshes the screen it's on, while "POWER DOWN" just shuts off the phone).

However, I noticed being in FASTBOOT menu on the phone allows access to a few more FASTBOOT commands coming from the PC. (ie. fastboot-reload bootloader). Not sure if any of the FASTBOOT commands are useful in my situation, however.

6. InfernalByte

This might help, and as SUroot confirmed you need to be in on the FASTBOOT menu screen.

More importantly though, he knows his stuff, and if he say RUU, then that's your best option!

7. SkinJob

Thanks, I had already tried installing those ADB drivers on my XP system. I successfully installed them, to where it says "Android Bootloader Interface" in my windows Device Manager. Yet the Telus Froyo RUU.exe won't install, giving an error 170 (USB CONNECTION ERROR). So it can't connect to my phone, despite that it says "HBOOT USB PLUG" on the HBOOT screen when connected via USB (and I also tried it in the FASTBOOT menu screen), and that I am able to issue FASTBOOT commands from the PC. I still can't issue adb commands, so it appears I can only "partially" communicate with the phone from the PC.

On the HBOOT screen, these are the status messages that briefly flash on the screen, which seem to indicate why the phone won't start:

Loading...[PB99DIAG.zip]
    No Image!
    Loading...[PB99DIAG.nbh]
    No Image!
    Loading...[PB99IMG.zip]
    No Image!
    Loading...[PB99DIMG.nbh]
    No Image or wrong image!

8. SUroot

Not sure of your obsession with adb or hboot but to avoid further confusion can we please forget about them for now? There are a million and one reasons.why.adb.can't connect to your phone so to use that to prove the phone only partially connects won't cut it unfortunately

So in fastboot, when it says fastboot usb, what error does the RUU give?

If that doesn't work, download the PB99IMG.zip to root of sd and start.hboot. that will return it to stock

SkinJob likes this.
  9. SkinJob

Oh my God, that worked! :eek: Infinite thanks for your assistance! :D :D :D

I wasn't sure I was ever going to get my phone back from the zombie state, after all necessary means of connecting via USB refused to work, RECOVERY mode was no longer an option, and the RUU exe wouldn't work.

I had a hugely customized (Windows Phone 7 type) interface with a zillion apps and now all that is lost. But that's not even close to losing a $500 investment, so it's the least of my concerns. (When I looked in contacts, most, though not all, of my phone numbers were still there. I guess some of them were saved on the SIM card).

And I guess I've lost ROOT as I don't see the SuperUser app in the drawer. But that's fine. I'm sticking with stock now. I'll have to do with less apps installed, since I'll no longer have an OS that can take full advantage of my ext3 partition. But I'd rather have a working phone, than risk having a bricked one down the road.

If I had to guess as to why this happened, my best guess is the overclocking I had. I forget if it was via the Teppic ROM, the different kernel I had installed, or CPUWhatever? app that might have been installed. Even though I did not go crazy with overclocking, and stuck to conservative, default values..... that might have heated the chips too much over the long run, causing reboots, causing an eventual logo freeze.

Hope too this thread will help future members in a similar predicament. :)

10. SUroot

Nah no way was that the cause. Overclocking doesn't kick in until after boot into android so recovery and android should still boot

11. SkinJob

But as mentioned, I was experiencing random reboots during phone calls, in the weeks leading up to the "final freeze", where it no longer went back into the OS after a reboot. You don't think they're related? Also, I did no modifications, changes nor installation of any apps in about 6 months, and used the phone for very little, other than taking calls. Yet somehow the PB99*.zip files got corrupted, as HBOOT could no longer find them; hence getting stuck on the logo screen. So what's your theory as to what caused the random reboots or "final freeze"?

12. SUroot

Yes that overclocking could be contributing to a hardware overheating issue, but since overclocking is undervolting, it is still using less power than stock, even overclocked - so if it is overheating its most likely hardware related.

If you had a hardware overheating issue, you would have to wait for the CPU to cool before it would start up again, so that could also explain that.

As to why it wouldn't start properly even after cooling, I can only assume its down to a data / file system corruption, which again could be related to so many shut downs where file systems were not unmounted cleanly

I cannot say for certain, but overclocking may have exacerbated an underlying condition.

Maybe you overclocked it too high for your CPU, when under stress this will cause a reboot too. If you overclocked, kept getting reboots and then failed to set the max frequency lower, it could have caused it.

So many underlying causes, but overclocking in itself would not, unless its repeated reboots. Symptom of a symptom that was never addressed perhaps?

13. SkinJob

Oh cripey's, I spoke too soon.... It looks like the problem has not gone away, despite having installed the stock Telus Froyo RUU on the phone. I had just installed "GO EX launcher" and was downloading themes when the phone rebooted. It would go back into the OS home screen, then reboot a second or two later. Then it would reboot even quicker upon loading the OS, then it would stay stuck on the HTC logo screen.

I froze the Desire for a few minutes, and currently, I'm back into the system. I think this is a pretty strong indication of a hardware issue, where the chips are overheating. I do know the area around the sim card was certainly warm, though not what I'd describe as "hot to the touch". And it's a pretty mild day here, temperature wise. I think we all agree there shouldn't be any overclocking on the stock system, which implies the chips became "defective" after a year of use, which is about how long I've had the phone.

Unless anyone has any other notions of what might be causing this?....

14. SUroot

Well you have replaced every bit of software on the device so it can only be hardware. 2 year warranty? Contact HTC :)

15. SkinJob

Actually, I haven't replaced every bit of software. I still have that darn 3-skateboard hacker HBOOT on the system! I have 3 months to go on a 1 year warranty with Telus. But the technicians might notice the rooted HBOOT and void the warranty on the spot. I have no idea how to remove the HBOOT and return to stock HBOOT. I thought this would happen after installing the stock RUU via FASTBOOT, but it didn't. Now that I can open the phone and access the Froyo OS, I tried going the regular route of running the RUU.EXE in order to see if this installs the complete package, including stock HBOOT. But its still giving me error 171 or 170 and not completing the install (though it seems to have installed a new black screen with white HTC logo when connected to USB... or at least I've never run into that before).

Is there a way to return to the stock HBOOT, if I did not do a goldcard in advance? :thinking:

16. SUroot

I thought pb99 does same as RUU. Well now it works, run RUU.

17. SkinJob

I don't know. There are a lot of files in the RUU.EXE, apart from the ROM.ZIP file that's extracted for the PB99 method. That's why I was hoping one of them creates a new HBOOT.

I mentioned that....

"I tried going the regular route of running the RUU.EXE in order to see if this installs the complete package, including stock HBOOT. But its still giving me error 171 or 170 and not completing the install (though it seems to have installed a new black screen with white HTC logo when connected to USB... or at least I've never run into that before). "

18. SUroot

Didnt see that. Are you doing this whilst in fasboot mode or in android mode with usb debugging?

Also which USB ports are you using? is it a desktop or laptop? If desktop have you tried rear ports?

19. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Extreme Android User

Woah wait. Pbimg does replace hboot. The 3skateboard androids are part of official HTC android code and are always there. The only time its a hacked hboot is if you see alpharev s-off

That device is replaced sw and will be covered. Get it sent off

20. InfernalByte

You downloaded Go EX launcher then you had problems?

21. SkinJob

Wait, are you sure?! I was just about to seriously risk quiching my phone by flashing AlphaRev's "bravo stock 1.8" hboot (AlphaRev 1.8). I seem to recall the three skateboarding androids only appeared after I rooted my phone. But I have a notoriously poor memory.... This is what it says on my HBOOT screen (doesn't seem like "recovery" would be an option on a stock Desire?):

BRAVO PVT3 SHIP S-ON
    HBOOT 0.93 0001
    MICROP-051d
    TOUCH PANEL-SYNW0101
    RADIO 5.11.05.27
    Aug 10, 2010, 17:52:18

FASTBOOT
    RECOVERY
    CLEAR STORAGE
    SIMLOCK

You are correct that PBIMG includes the HBOOT file. But I don't know if it is writing it. I see no difference whatsoever with the HBOOT I had on before when I had Teppic's cooked ROM, and after when I installed the stock Froyo RUU (aka PBIMG99.ZIP). ....Except the recovery screen now shows a red exclamation mark, because the phone's no longer rooted.

22. SUroot

You wouldnt see any difference as you hadn't replaced it. So its exactly the same. Rooting does not do anything to the hboot.

Yes HTC has recovery built into their devices. For factory resets. So your recovery has reverted to stock. everything is now stock.

I was hoping returning it to stock would sort the usb issue out when in hboot / fastboot

Cant even remember the original issue now as its over 2 different threads

23. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Extreme Android User

im 100% sure
    the only thing that can modify hboot is alpharev (unless you are CDMA) and then it only changes the flag to s-off (when running unrevoked)
    custom rom flashing cannot and will not affect hboot

if you have flashed your pb99img then it is stock and that inlcudes hboot

you just never noticed them before you rooted as basically you had no reason to be in hboot untill you rooted

im 100% certain you are on stock hboot

flashing alpharev would do the opposite

SkinJob likes this.
  24. SkinJob

Android mode, with debugging. Error 171. Tried both 1.1 and 2.0 USB ports. Thing is, the USB *does* work. As I mention, I can connect (in android mode) using adb console, fastboot commands, HTC sync, Windows, and indeed the HTC Sync driver changes to "Android Bootloader Interface" when the RUU starts doing its thing. Which is the driver you're supposed to use with this sort of thing. In any case, my guess was wrong, the HBOOT isn't part of the remaining files. It is included in the ROM.ZIP. I just don't know if its actually writing it when I flash the ROM.ZIP in FASTBOOT.

25. SkinJob

Thanks a bunch. I'm gladly going to forget about trying to flash the alpharev 1.8 stock boot and risking a brick, and just give my carrier what I have. (Though I really don't remember the original boot having a "recovery" option! I could be wrong...).

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews