• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't get any ROMs to work

codezer0

Android Expert
Jan 23, 2013
Arizona
Forgive my hasty typing as I'm at work and won't be able to address this topic fully until tomorrow.

Given my frustrations with other phones, I'm desperate enough to try and get my old note 3 to work again. Since that was a more pleasant phone to use than anything newer I've had since.

I see there are some newer ROMs capable of having Android 7 on this and want to try them out.however, every single one so far only meets me with a boot screen that doesn't get into the os even after an hour of waiting. I've tried redownload and other ROMs but literally none of them will boot up with the phone. And I'd like to have the newer os so I can run some of the apps I already use on a daily basis again.

What do I do? How do I make them work? I don't have an xda account, so I have to ask here.

Okay, just got home. Here's what I did.

Even though I had it at that version, re-flashed TWRP from the .img download to affirm.
Rebooted back to recovery.
Somehow managed to find the download for Remix 5.8.2 and put that on there instead of 5.8.3 (was trying to use 5.8.3 out of preference)
Run install of that, then GApps, let it install TWRP app, reboot...

It's working! :D

Reactions: James L
Upvote 0
Well, there WAS supposed to be at least a 7.0 rom for the MXPE; but Lenovo put the kibosh on that when they bought Motorola, ensuring everything they made got forgotten within 3 months to make way for new and exciting ways to burn your money!

Yea, I'm more than a bit salty that I'm actually having to resort to using my N900 Note 3, because my MXPE has been so bad about its battery life. Granted the batteries I have for my Note 3 are kinda out of it, but... the ZL extended has been in daily use for as long as I've had the phone. That's more than three years of use. So, in context, I'm not the least bit upset there. The MXPE was supposed to last me for two years; it has been steadily getting worse all of its operating life.

Upvote 0
So the original issue has been resolved, yes?

Any plans to try other ROM's?

There's lineage, a new darklord, and a slew of others out there.

RR does the job well, based on CM, but I got tired of all the knob turning customizations, and found better battery life in other ROM's.

Happy modding!
Now you have me curious.

As long as they are based on nougat, I see no inherent reason not to give it a try...

having to use rr 5.8.2 because 5.8.3 seems to break on install on either phone. And battery life is kind of a big deal, considering that it's one big reason I'm going back to the note 3, and now waiting for my order of the extended battery to get to me.

Upvote 0
Lineage should be a good choice for you to try out. After reading through your thread, it sounds like you're skilled, so I won't bother you with flash and install details.

Having said that, a couple of things I look for in a ROM build are the target API and the specific note 3 designator assigned to my machine. In my case, it's hltetmo, but I have found equal success with htle, 9005, and combined targets as well.

There are two versions of nougat out there, and as you are already aware, not all ROM's are created equal.

My ALSO's list:

If the ROM installer is Aroma based, I'll change my TWRP recovery version to reflect it. I'll kick it down to 2.8.7 for the install, then bump it back to 3.xx after stability checks.

I always, always, use SuperSU, as it allows me to start my install with a known good, and am a huge fan of chainfire's work.

I stay away from SU wrappers like Majisk and anything Xposed. If you're interested in hearing my reasons why, I'd be happy to discuss.

Be sure to do a radio version check before proceeding and flash the latest version for your specific note 3 model if you haven't already. If you don't, it's possible to end up with a sim card read error on the newer builds. I expect this to be the case going forward with Android 0 and beyond, as well. The original firmware is just getting too long in the tooth to remain viable. Flashing it is super easy, so you might as well 'get er done' while you're working on the ROM install.

Finally, if anything hangs up on you or you have a concern before hitting the proverbial 'go' button, feel free to ping me. If I don't have the answer, I can probably find someone who does.

Welcome back to the note 3!

Upvote 0
I pretty much need Xposed for YouTube adaway, most... And a few other extensions here and there with their framework. And magisk is the only thing that's allowed me to be able to play Pokemon go again, as well as super Mario run. If it were possible to get both working, that'd be a Nirvana right there.

Believe me, I'm aware of the permutations. It's frustrating that for a while there, there were many excellent ROMs for the carrier locked note 3 phones, but it's like nobody was even trying for the n900 note 3, despite more possible people having it worldwide.

Using it the last few days has made me miss the days when Samsung embraced it's power users and tuners, and when they weren't such pricks in chasing the iPhone design, for (mostly) worse. Hell, if they weren't so obsessed with chasing the iPhone crowd, the note 7 exploding battery situation would have been far easier remedied. But that's a whole other crate of worms.

Upvote 0
I think way back when, Samsung knew they had just released a monster with the note 3, and being the good capitalists we know them to be, rushed to market with newer models twice a year, touting the latest embedded software treats, all to keep the consumer buying, even though the hardware itself has shown nominal improvement all the way up to the Note 8.

But man, did they lay on the bloatware or what? lol

Anyway, back to your schhtuff....

I hear you with Majisk and Xposed. There are plenty of alternatives out there. FDroid is one of my honeypots to find what I need.... I'm just not a fan of systemless root mods, as they lack the perms and 'bite' I need for some of the more austere apps I run.

Besides, there are so many hands in the Xposed pie now, it's tough to know who is doing what with your machine and where your info is going. -- I do my best to keep my digital footprint as small as possible. Pretty hard to stay that way when Majisk, keeps calling out the Google Pay dev teams. (hope that makes sense)

Let me know if you need any links, docs, or otherwise. -- If you have some space somewhere, I'd be happy to share some screenshots of my setups.

Good luck, and let me know how it works out for you!

P.S... I think earlier in the thread I used the word 'combined,' to indicate a ROM type. The correct word is 'Unified.'

Upvote 0
Okay, seems I basically just have to decide between Xposed Framework, and Magisk root.

Both definitely work great on their own. Together... not so much. :(

Also sad to see that it appears YouTube AdAway just seems to be broken on Android 7.1 presently. That really is a bummer, because the unskippable ads in YouTube just irk me to no end.:mad: On the flip side, Magisk with functioning SafetyNet allows me to run Pokemon Go, newer builds of Netflix and Super Mario Run, which I was never able to with the old SuperUser methods on any phone.

Reactions: david nist
Upvote 0
Okay, seems I basically just have to decide between Xposed Framework, and Magisk root.
Both definitely work great on their own. Together... not so much.
Also sad to see that it appears YouTube AdAway just seems to be broken on Android 7.1 presently. That really is a bummer, because the unskippable ads in YouTube just irk me to no end. On the flip side, Magisk with functioning SafetyNet allows me to run Pokemon Go, newer builds of Netflix and Super Mario Run, which I was never able to with the old SuperUser methods on any phone.
if you used the magisk version of xposed itll work.any module that has audio modification library though will freeze phones.everything else seems to work fine though.also disabling the status tick in xposes material installer and reboot will pass safety net on magisk again.you just can't run them both at same time and expect pokemon go to work that way.sorry to say that's how it is but eh

Reactions: david nist
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones