1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Can't get any service on my phone. Need Help!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JonDoe1987, Feb 1, 2014.

1. JonDoe1987

JonDoe1987 Lurker
    None

Feb 1, 2014
    Recently my phone stopped getting service. I can't make/receive calls or texts and no 3g/4g, however I can still get online when connected to wifi. I can't perform any of the updates because it says "Authentication error" and when I look under my account on the phone it says it's not activated. I tried calling customer service and they completely useless. Any ideas on what to do? already tried a factory reset.

Advertisement

2. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
    Can you provide some more information, such as what carrier, whether the phone is rooted etc?
    If there is a SIM card have you tried reseating it?

3. hiwatt

hiwatt Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 12, 2011
    N Side of Chicago
    If you're on Virgin Mobile, welcome to the club. They are citing "tower upgrades." Where are you?

4. JonDoe1987

JonDoe1987 Lurker
    None

Feb 1, 2014
    Yes I'm on Virgin Mobile and I live in NW Ohio. My brother also has VM but he doesn't seem to be having problems, is that common for some phones to work and other not to?

5. hiwatt

hiwatt Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 12, 2011
    N Side of Chicago
    Welp, in my neighborhood, the tower right by me was down from 21 Jan until around 3pm today. I basically had to contact VM four times (they did not respond the first three times) to find out what was going on. I've had VM for three years and this was the first time I've had a real issue with them. I think it's ridiculous that I had to resort to sending them an tersely worded email to get a response, but they left me no choice. It makes me wonder what the hell is going over there. At any rate, I told them I thought I should be credited for the period of non service I had (I work from home, so I don't leave the 'hood too often, service did work elsewhere, so they say). They gave a non comital "we may be able to look in to that and may be able to discuss a credit." My point is: if VM thinks that simply telling me the reason I had no service is because the tower closest to me was down counts for customer service, they are turning into a joke. Sadly, I think they do believe the explanation was enough. Had I not just picked this phone up, I would leave them in a heartbeat.

You will get slightly better customer service from their Facebook page. The downside is there's a lot of people posting complaints there. Sometimes it's funny, but mostly it makes Virgin look like a pack of total idiots. So yeah, check to see if they are "upgrading" or "servicing" a tower near you.

6. jerrspud

jerrspud Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 24, 2012
    no. I have been a with Virgin for years, and no problems. A friend just got a VM F3 as well and he has no problem either.

Did you say if you made any changes to the phone?