• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't Get HTC Sync to Work

Hi,

I've had my Inspire for less than a month, and already I've lost my ability to sync. This is one of the reasons I switched from Windows Mobile -- I was tired of fighting with Windows syncing!

Now, when I connect my phone to my 64-bit Windows 7 PC, a message pops up saying it's looking for HTC Sync. Then, after what seems like a LONG time, it says "Unable to find HTC Sync on your PC."

I've run a repair install on HTC Sync. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it several times, using a version downloaded from the link given in the error message. I've restarted both my PC and my phone. Nothing seems to help.

I've Googled the error message and found quite a few reports, but they're all for other devices, such as the Hero and the Evo, and the solutions given don't seem to apply.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Yes to both, 2many :))), but thanks for the reminder.

You can change the default connection if you go into Settings and choose "Connect to PC."

I actually discovered that HTC Support is open on Sunday (!), so I called. After an hour or so of working with the rep, we got it working. I don't know for sure what did it, but I had been downloading the installation file using Google Chrome and then running it. She had me run it directly from the HTC site in Internet Explorer. That's the only thing I can think of that was different from what I'd already tried.

I thought it quite ironic, considering that this is supposed to be a Google phone, and everything else is set up for Google. :D

Upvote 0
Yes to both, 2many :))), but thanks for the reminder.

You can change the default connection if you go into Settings and choose "Connect to PC."

I actually discovered that HTC Support is open on Sunday (!), so I called. After an hour or so of working with the rep, we got it working. I don't know for sure what did it, but I had been downloading the installation file using Google Chrome and then running it. She had me run it directly from the HTC site in Internet Explorer. That's the only thing I can think of that was different from what I'd already tried.

I thought it quite ironic, considering that this is supposed to be a Google phone, and everything else is set up for Google. :D

I am having the exact same issue as you. I too use Google Chrome. I am testing this out in IE now to see if that will work.

Upvote 0
Yes, even though I solved the initial problem, I'm still not happy. It's behaving like Activesync and Windows Mobile Device Center used to work, and I thought Android would take me away from that. The phone often refused to connect with HTC Sync. Yesterday HTC Sync was telling me there was no device connected, but my "safely remove list" showed very plainly that it was connected. In fact, I was able to view the files on my storage card! I fought with this for an hour, I think, before I was finally able to make a connection. Then, when I tried to sync, HTC Sync gave me a pretty unhelpful error message: something like "unable to synchronize contacts". I tried several times, only to get the same message. I don't have any idea why my contacts won't sync, but it looks like I'm out of luck, at least for now.

Upvote 0
turn off Wi Fi... I came across this on the HTC website:

Why does synchronization sometimes fail?
This can occur when switching from or to a data or Wi-Fi connection. You may be prompted to login again before synchronization can complete.

It hit me when I saw that to try turning off my wifi... I turned it off, and it started working instantly.

Upvote 0
I tried all kinds of solutions to get my HTC Inspire to sync. Version 3.3.20 is bad. Download Version 3.3.21. You'll probably need to get it from another website other than HTC's website (which is awful for helping to solve your problems). I believe I downloaded the file from FileHippo.com. It's pretty pathetic that I have to get the software from another site in order to get my phone to work.

But fortunately it now works.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones