• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't get into Google Account Setting

Hi.

I've just tried to change some accounts on my Girlfriends Note 3. Every time I select Google Accounts from the Settings menu I get "Settings Has Stopped" and I get kicked back to the settings top menu...

I have just tried and I'm getting the same on my Note3.

Anyone else experienced this or know a way to get into the Accounts?

TIA

Scooter

Before doing a Factory Reset, maybe try this. In your Settings >> Application manager, swipe over to the 'All' menu, scroll down and tap on the 'Settings' app. Click on the 'Force stop' button and the 'Clear cache' button. Do the same for the 'Touchwiz home' app, then restart your Note and see if that makes any difference.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I have tried clearing the Cache and Force Stopping things, but this has not worked. I am very reluctant to do a factory restart so I have e-mailed Samsung to ask for their advice. I will let you know what they say (if anything!)

They will tell you to factory reset, but only after several tiers of support frustration.

Upvote 0
Now that's optimism! :) The problem is that even if you do let them know about something of which they were not aware, patching updates must go through development and, especially for legacy devices, is a very low priority. Good luck, but it you don't get what you want from them, we're here. :D

Let me ask you this. Have you performed a major upgrade since you've had the phone? From 4.x to 5.x? Even from 4.1 to 4.4 was pretty significant. While a lot of people seem to have no problems with upgrades, there is a considerable percentage who do and must factory reset to resolve the issues, and I think most would benefit from a factory reset.

It's really not that bad and you'll have a cleaner, better performing device in the end. Just like anything else, the most important part is the prep (backing up your important data). We can certainly help you with that if you want.

Upvote 0
I know, my land is full of clouds and cukoos sometimes!!

I haven't done any major updates since installing Android 5.0 in December or January and just the normal App updates from the play store.

It's not a major problem if I can't get into the Accounts, but my Girlfriend is having the same issue and is wishing to delete an Google account, but I've think I've managed to disable most things for now.... we will wait and see if things get resolved.

Thanks for the offer of help, I fairly techy minded, have quite a few Android devices and I regularly back up in case of issues!

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones