1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Can't get into Recovery Mode

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bomp15, Nov 21, 2011.

1. bomp15

bomp15 Newbie
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Alabama
    Okay, need some help. I am admittedly a newbie to flashing ROMs and stuff but I feel like I have done my due diligence to solve this problem and can't.

History: I am rooted, currently running MIUI 1.11.18, radio 2.15.00.07.28

My main issue is this: when I try to get into recovery mode either by holding volume down+power or reboot into recovery from ROM manager, I can get to the HBOOT white screen, but when I scroll down to recovery, it kicks me to FASTBOOT. When I then select recovery, it kicks me back to HBOOT. After that it will flash up the message in the attached picture.

[​IMG]

I think this all started when I was trying to flash the redemptive rEVOlution 2.3 ROM and it said to flash HBOOT .92 (which I think I already had but didn't realize). It was named PB31IMG.zip, and the text that flashes up seems to have something to do with that. I tried deleting that zip from my SD card which didn't make a difference, then re-downloaded it so it was back, and it still didn't matter, same result. Flashing any other ROM doesn't work because rebooting in recovery doesn't work to be able to "install from sd".

Any help to be able to get back to recovery would be helpful. Thanks

Attached Files:

Advertisement

2. bomp15

bomp15 Newbie
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Alabama
    Even tried to do a factory reset, but that didn't even work. It didn't reset anything, its as if I just rebooted...

Strange. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

3. mmolitor87

mmolitor87 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    Collinsville, IL, USA
    You could try loading any valid image onto your sdcard and see if you ever get a prompt for it.

or...

Download and install the android SDK.

Start -> Run -> type 'cmd' and then enter the following:

cd c:\sdk\platform-tools

(or wherever you installed it)

Turn on USB debugging.

adb reboot recovery

That should get you into recovery. It might be the same way clockwork loads you in, I'm not sure if adb has anymore force about it.

Someone else might know better but these are just my ideas.

4. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Sounds like you just need to reflash recovery using ROM manager. Check the options in the settings to erase recovery before flashing, and then flash it a bunch of times.

bomp15 likes this.
  5. RTDub

RTDub Newbie
    None

May 12, 2011
    I have a similar problem. Was at 2.2 when I rooted and tried to flash up to 2.3.4 with the instrux in this forum. I bailed after the second try. Phone was new, stock and I [thought I] wanted some of the 2.3.4 features, so I unrooted. The first update downloaded and installed after two tries. After the first failure, I reset the phone from Settings and the second update took.

Now, when I try to go into CW recovery (with a FAT32 and blank) SD card, I get a cache error, then the red triangle of death (vol up+Power to escape) then the blue text screen asking for reboot. All I want to do is a Nandroid backup - perhaps this is different with 2.3.4?

Glad I updated the software and looking forward to the last patch if only for the ability to wake the phone with the trackball instead of the power button.

EDIT/UPDATE: Specific error when attempting to get into recovery (S-ON) is:

Can't open /cache/recovery/command

No recovery image on the SD card.

6. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    ^^What he said. Delete the PB31IMG file off the card, you don't need it anymore and it will try to reload unnecessarily while in hboot.

7. tm4512

tm4512 Lurker
    None

I second what sdrawkcab25 and iowabowtech advised.

When I went through my bit of shenanigans I experienced the same thing.

8. bomp15

bomp15 Newbie
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Alabama
    That did it! Thanks so much guys. I selected the option to erase recovery before flashing, flashed it twice, reboot, voila!

Thanks so much, you guys are awesome...