1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Can't get into recovery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Vizard91izy, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Vizard91izy

Vizard91izy Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    I had recently reinstalled my rom on HTC Desire (version 2.3.3) and I can't get in my "recovery" mode. Now I don't know if i first have to root my phone , which in fact i've tried and nothing seems to work! I did factory reset many times, I did the basic things like checking on the USB Debugging and installing that hboot driver. I tried unrevoked so many times all over again. I probably have missed something, or maybe missed a small step... Help me out guys, i would appreciate it! thank u

Advertisement

2. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I moved your post into the Desire All Things Root forum. I think the folks here can help you a little better than those over in the EVO 4G forlum. :)

Usually when I see this error on the EVO is because your hboot is newer, and unrevoked won't work. Have you tried to use revolutionary?

I'm not 100% sure your phone is supported, but i assume it is. :)

Hopefully someone with your phone will be in here soon to help you out. :eek:

If you have any questions or concerns, please send me a Private Message. Click on my user name and select send a private message and I'll do what I can to help!! :)

3. Granite1

None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ok, I've done a little more research, and it seems your phone is supported by Revolutionaty. Since your Firmware version is 2.3.3, you need to use the revolutionary root exploit. The thread for your device can be found here:
    http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/439627-guide-revolutionary-s-off-rooting.html

Read the guide a few time to be sure you understand everything. If you are unsure on anything, just post up your questions, we're all here to help. :)

4. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Hi Viz,

The initial issue is you cannot get into recovery.

Before you go down the path of rooting, I have 2 questions.

1) What happens when you try to get into recovery?
    2) Once in recovery, what exactly do you want to do?

The reason I ask this that your recovery is still there. All desires (and most android devices in general) have recovery whether rooted or not. That said, they do not have the functionality of a custom recovery.

Granite1 likes this.
  5. Vizard91izy

Vizard91izy Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    When I go into recovery I get this sign of my desire with a red error "triangle"
    If I had recovery I wanted to install other ROMs and stuff from my SD (I had recovery before, it was gone when I reinstalled my desire ROM 2.3.3)

6. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Oh right. That red triangle is part of the official recovery (you actually press volume up and power on the triangle screen to get into its menu) but this wont allow you to flash roms.

You need custom recovery to flash roms (its important to differentiate between them).

So I assume you were rooted, then unrooted to go to 2.3.3 officially. Like already mentioned, you need to use revolutionary now. Unrevoked's root method was to exploit a security hole which was fixed with android 2.3

revolutionary will firstly gain you s-off. It may ask you to install a recovery at this point. Although this is easier, the recovery supplied is not particularly stable.

I would personally recommend skipping the recovery bit here.

You mentioned in the opther thread about elaboration of flashing the recovery. Well, in my signature is an adb and fastboot faq. Its the fastboot section of that you will need to read. Hope this helps.

Granite1 likes this.
  7. Vizard91izy

Vizard91izy Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    It worked! I tried to do this with the revolutionary.exe software, I have now my recovery with root. I updated my recovery through the Rom Manager app, so that i have the latest recovery. I'm trying new Roms as we speak :)
    Thanks you for your help and your time!

8. Flumme

Flumme Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    Sweden
    if you look at the stickies in this forum Desire - All Things Root - Android Forums you will find a thread that says "Don't use ROM Manager!" - read it ;)

By not using ROM Manager, you will hopefully keep from getting into trouble later on. Read all the guides and faq:s here in this forum, in fact. They are supurb, and the people who wrote them will be able to help you if you get into trouble. SU Root being one of the most capable and willing. The first advice you get when in trouble is usually to read these excellent guides...

Granite1 likes this.
  9. Granite1

None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Agreed, don't use Rom manager. It tends to be buggy. Amon-ra all the way! :D

Tags: