• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't get into recovery

Hi,
My girlfriends GSM HTC Desire decided to freeze up and when it rebooted it got stuck at a pink loading circle, before the HTC boot logo.

It was a T-Mobile UK branded set which I S-Off'd and flashed with MildWild CM, it had been working fine for a few months on MildWild.

I can't get into recovery, when i select it from the bootloader it goes to the pink circle and doesn't load. I have flashed recovery using fastboot but that doesn't help either.

What should I try next?

Phone info:

AlphaRev CM7 r2
BRAVO PVT4 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-6.93.1002
MICROP-051d
TOUCH PANEL SYNT0101
RADIO-5.17.05.23

Hi beardedwonder, and welcome to AF :)

So even after reflashing recovery it still won't work? How recent are her backups? I ask because if you end up having to run an RUU it will wipe the phone.

But let's see whether we can think of anything else. It's PVT-4, so it's probably not the overheating problem. Have you tried simple things like pulling the battery and leaving it out for a minute or two (to completely discharge the semiconductor)? Perhaps reflash the hboot - I've not heard of the bootloader failing, and you'd expect it to be fatal if it did, but it is a common factor in both Android and Recovery modes. If you use the same (CM7r2) hboot you shouldn't need to do anything other than fastboot flash it.

After that we get into how to wipe the phone from fastboot, but data corruption shouldn't stop it booting into recovery so I don't think that will help. Which recovery are you using? It might be worth trying flashing a different one, though I've no particular reason to think that will make much difference.

In the last resort, fastboot flash the bravo stock hboot from alpharev.nl, then run a recent RUU and see if it will boot after that (bravo stock so that the phone can boot after the RUU but you'll still be S-Off, which will save time with re-rooting).

Sorry I've not got anything definite here - being unable to get into recovery even after reflashing is puzzling me I'm afraid.

Reactions: beardedwonder
Upvote 0
The backups are about 1 month old but she doesn't keep much on the phone, Facebook, Hotmail and texting mostly.

The battery has been left out for a long time and then put back in.

I've tried the clockwork non touch 5.0.0.2.0.

So I think I will try, in this order:

Flashing different recovery, are there links to any images?

re flashing the hboot.

Clearing storage

Stock hboot then RUU.

I've never used the RUU I believe there's a GB T-Mobile UK one. Is that what I should go for?

Upvote 0
Sorry, only on occasionally at the moment.

In the Desire All Things Root forum there's a sticky post Desire All Things Root Guide. Amongst other things it has a link to a guide to rooting with revolutionary, and that guide has a link to a 4Ext Touch recovery image. So that may be worth a go - 4Ext can restore ClockworkMod recovery nandroid backups, so the existing backups should work with it if needed.

The alpharev hboots also act as goldcards, so you can run any RUU. The official gingerbread one also works with any uk phone.

Upvote 0
Good luck. Since the RUU will replace everything (apart from hboot, unless you flash the alpharev downgrader hboot first) then as long as you pick a compatible one (Froyo or Gingerbread should be fine, avoid the oldest as the screen on your phone won't work with those) it should work with any software problem. So if it doesn't work after that it might be hardware.

Reactions: beardedwonder
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones