• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cant get J5 to work again

bosem31

Lurker
Aug 12, 2022
My phone is now somehow stuck. When I power it on it goes into that black menu where I can select:
- reboot system now
- reboot to bootloader
- apply update from ADB
- apply update from SD card
- wipe data factory reset
- wipe cache partition
- mount system
- view recovery logs
- power off

And no matter what I do, I cant get anything to work. If I try to wipe data and do factory reset it gives me following error:

E:format_volume: make ext4 failed on /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/userdata with 1 (I/O error), data wipe failed.

Okay, I have tried a few things so far, but always get stuck.

I flashed 6.0.1 android with odin 3, but I get error message. It says Fail! (Erase) and Complete (write) operation failed. This was the android version that I had before on the phone.

And if I flash it with the 5.1.1 it goes through well and all, but then when it restarts after flashing it it gets stuck on SAMSUNG logo with the animation.

Upvote 0
Please post (copy and paste) the actual Odin log that's displayed instead of your interpretation of what the problem may or may not be.

Also, what is the specific model I.D. of your J5? It should be similar to something like SM-J500F and which carrier do you use?

Hey, thanks for the reply.

The phone is SM-J500FN, and its unlocked phone if that is what you mean? But I am using Mobitel.

And, here is the log from Odin.
<ID:0/005> Odin engine v(ID:3.1401)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> Total Binary size: 3254 M
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/005> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/005> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/005> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/005> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/005> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/005> tz.mbn
<ID:0/005> hyp.mbn
<ID:0/005> NON-HLOS.bin
<ID:0/005> sec.dat
<ID:0/005> boot.img
<ID:0/005> recovery.img
<ID:0/005> system.img.ext4
<ID:0/005> persist.img.ext4
<ID:0/005> userdata.img.ext4
<ID:0/005> FAIL! (Erase)
<ID:0/005>
<ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Upvote 0
Nuts, apparently it failed in the tail end of the whole otherwise successful process. Not having a lot of luck doing an online search for that particular Erase message. Will keep looking. Anyone run into that Odin log error message before? Please chime in. <ID:0/005> FAIL! (Erase)

Hey, thank you very much for helping. Yea, the bar is over the middle already when this happens. I think it has something to do with the same error when I enter the hard reset mode and select wipe data, factory reset, and I get this error:

E:format_volume: make ext4 failed on /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/userdata with 1 (I/O error), data wipe failed.

Upvote 0
That data wipe failed message could be an additional indicator that the problem might be a rare instance where the NAND flash internal storage chip has failed. That's pretty much a hardware issue that can't be 'fixed'.
Just a wild rough suggestion might be to try flashing the ROM again but this time enable the Re-partition option in Odin's configuration. (In most cases it's better to be sure the Re-partition option is not enabled). But be sure you have the necessary PIT file for your SM-J500FN. Just like it's important to use the correct ROM that specifically matches your phone model, the same applies with its partition table. You might be able to find the SM-J500FN PIT file in the archive file you downloaded for your phone's ROM. Anyway, try flashing the ROM along with re-writing the partition table, and see if that makes any difference. Remote possibility this might overwrite some bad sectors or whatever. Doubtful but worth a try.

Reactions: bosem31 and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
That data wipe failed message could be an additional indicator that the problem might be a rare instance where the NAND flash internal storage chip has failed. That's pretty much a hardware issue that can't be 'fixed'.
Just a wild rough suggestion might be to try flashing the ROM again but this time enable the Re-partition option in Odin's configuration. (In most cases it's better to be sure the Re-partition option is not enabled). But be sure you have the necessary PIT file for your SM-J500FN. Just like it's important to use the correct ROM that specifically matches your phone model, the same applies with its partition table. You might be able to find the SM-J500FN PIT file in the archive file you downloaded for your phone's ROM. Anyway, try flashing the ROM along with re-writing the partition table, and see if that makes any difference. Remote possibility this might overwrite some bad sectors or whatever. Doubtful but worth a try.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

When I try with re partition option enabled, it goes straight into the FAIL mode right at the beginning, and this is the log:

<ID:0/005> Odin engine v(ID:3.1401)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> Total Binary size: 2042 M
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/005> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/005> Can't open the specified file. (Line: 2006)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Upvote 0
<ID:0/005> Can't open the specified file. (Line: 2006)
Try flashing again but beforehand, check that the required PIT file is actually in the directory you think it's in and then be sure to select that directory in the resulting PIT dialog popup message.

Hey, can you please explain this a little more to me? Where do I check the PIT file, and where do I select the directory?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones