• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root can't get my rooted evo 4g wireless tether to work

that might not be fully true. i am running MikG 3.1 with the stock HTC kernel, and wireless tether / hotspot works for me, both through apps and via the built-in hotspot function.

if you're using the app WiFi Tether, there's a checkbox in settings that you have to tick to make it work (Routing Fix). otherwise, devices will connect, but won't fully connect.

also, my battery life has been fantastic the past few days. just slightly over 3 hours of the display being on (using the stock internet browser for 99% of that) with a single charge is about 45 minutes longer than any non-rooted session i've ever had. also, with SetCPU dropping the processor to 245mhz with the screen off, i only lose 1 or 2% of battery overnight.

Hmmm, interesting. I was definitely checking that routing fix box and it still wouldn't work. I spent literally days going over every thing I could think of and in the end did every combination of settings that I could think of. I posted on the devs website and read his FAQs but never got any help from there. I had been meaning to try a new kernel anyways, when i installed freedom I immediately was able to run and use wifi tether. I'm using the less freedom kernel, and am getting phenominal battery life with little trade off in usability. Maybe I was missing something small, or maybe it was just my phone being wonky, it works now so that's all that matters to me.

Upvote 0
So I tried another rooted app on my phone called titanium backup and it did not work. I think there was an issue with my rooting process I even though it says the S off I dont understand though

check the superuser app again and see if it is allowing apps access or not. your hboot 6.16 and s-off is an indication that you have full root. with tb the su app asks for permission really fast when you first open tb up. it is easy to disallow permision for it.

try flashing a different rom and then try to get the tethering app to work. try mikg3.1 and see.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
ok thanks I will try that and get back to you later to see if it works, once again thanks for the help

one thing also if you have not already i would also switch to amon ra 2.3 recovery if you have not already done so. the instructions are in the guide as well.

and let us know if you have everything working including tethering as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones