1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Can't Get Past Setup - Just need text messages for now.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by WorldBuilder, Sep 16, 2016.

1. WorldBuilder

WorldBuilder Member
    None

Dec 15, 2009
    IT Manager
    Hi all,

I have a weird issue that actually seems to have to do with a Google Account, only partially the phone. But it is an S7. Here's the skinny... I am the Tech Director for a small town and a user of mine, who is also a non-tech savvy friend, called me saying he thought his Google account was hacked and needed my help. Long story short, he called VZW (provider), among others, and had started a tech support process before calling me. When he described it all to me, it didn't sound legit, so I had him stop everything he was having done (remote support to his PC, in theory) and bring me his PC and phone.

The phone is an S7 and he told me that VZW had already "reset" it. Sure enough, when I got it myself, that seems to be its state. But there are some weird, weird things going on. Now, I'm going to go to a VZW store with him on Monday, but in the meantime I wanted to ask...

When first turning on the phone, it goes straight to New Setup. That doesn't seem odd at all, until you realize that it says (and I am paraphrasing) that it wants an account loaded that has ALREADY BEEN SYNCED TO THIS DEVICE.

Huh?

Now, we CAN"T setup that user because either his Google account has been hacked, or he simply doesn't remember his PW correctly (which is also the case). Bottom line is we are locked out of his Google account and cannot get back in because we need to be able to access the verification code texted to his phone number via the Google recovery process. Even that might not be enough, but we DO have access to his backup email (AOL). That is not enough to get through the process, but we hope by adding the text verification code, it'll work.

When i go through the Googel recovery process, I CAN send a text to the number and I DO hear the ping of the text coming in to the phone. But since I can't get past the Setup, I can't actually GET the text.

So...

How can I circumvent the New Setup on the device to get the text message? It's all legit, and I have the phone in hand. I tried setting the phone up with MY own personal Google Account and it denied me, again saying it needed an account that had previously been synced. I have NEVER heard of that silliness. On all my phones/devices, I can login any and as many Google accounts as I want.

I hope this all makes sense. Help? Please? Thanks!

CB

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    The Google account is tied to the phone number. Is Verizon CDMA? Or does it use a SIM? The verification code from the text could be acquired by simply plugging in the SIM into another phone if it's GSM.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.