• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cant get phone to send emails!!

I have a samsung moment with 2.1

I am trying to get optimum online email to work with my phone. I can recieve emails no problem but when I try to respond all I get is a "connection error."

Incoming settings:
POP3
sever: mail.optonline.net
port: 110
Security type: none

outgoing settings:
POP3
server: mail.optonline.net
port: 587
security type: none
Require sign in: NO!

Why can I recieve emails but I cant send them? Thanks for any help

I have been frustrated with this setup as well on a few different Android phones, tablets.

My solution finally...

smtp2go.com

I was only able to get email outgoing while on WiFi and not on 3G. Discovered this during a power failure one night. When I changed outgoing smtp to smtp2go.com, I was able to send email through my Eastlink account with no more hassles.

Eastlink could not help me....
Samsung could not help me....

Why is this so friggin difficult to set up on these new phones. I thought technology was supposed to advance......

Upvote 0
It's not the phone or Android. It's the ISP that provides your email. Most of them prevent users not on their network from using their SMTP servers as an antispam measure. Some of them allow use of their SMTP server with authentication but you'd need to configure your SMTP servers properly for whatever method of authentication they're using.

Or use another email provider that doesn't have such restrictions.

When I changed outgoing smtp to smtp2go.com, I was able to send email through my Eastlink account with no more hassles.
You're not really sending it through your Eastlink account. You're sending via smtp2go's SMTP server.

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones