• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't get rid of phone number!! Period!!

First post and I will try to make this concise as possible!

1. I put a phone number in my phone except I didn't put an area code in duh I know better.

2. When you do that you can not send a text message.

3. So I deleted the contact and the number. This did not work, every time I went to put the whole number in and hit the message it went to message and the 7 digit number popped up not the 10 digit I needed. Now I know I can go and enter the number or edit it but this is a number that I use a lot.

4. Now all the things I did were outside of my house when I got home I redid everything I did above, 1-3 and on top of that I went to my gmail and contacts and deleted the contact recycled it twice both on the phone and and the contacts to completely purge the contact and number from my phone it was completely gone.

5. And it worked for about an hour when I went to text again after about two texts it went back to the 7 digit number.

6 Why does Android feel that they have to have complete and utter control over my phone. When I delete something I want it deleted is that to much to ask?

7 I don't recall saving the number to my SD card where is the number coming from?

On a side note whenever I go to my phone log and I have every text and phone log (call) on my phone log. I go in change it to only placed calls it reverts back to everything after an hour or two. what is going on?

Thanks for any help.

Is rebooting different then removing the battery? Is there a difference between hard rest and soft reset and how do you do them?

I don't want to have to reconfigure my phone and re download the apps I have and music here is the funny thing the number is not in my contacts on my phone or gmail yet when I go to new text and put the 10 digit number in it puls up the previous 7 digit number and texts

This whacked

Upvote 0
EDIT...

Are you using your gmail account to sync with anything else besides your Epic?

Are you syncing your phone with any other accounts? Settings-Accounts and Sync. Is there more than your Gmail Account there?

You could try turning off Sync Contacts, and see what happens. That way you will be able to determine if the issue is with the phone or the Gmail Account.

I don't want to have to reconfigure my phone and re download the apps I have and music here is the funny thing the number is not in my contacts on my phone or gmail yet when I go to new text and put the 10 digit number in it puls up the previous 7 digit number and texts

This whacked

I always just type in the contact name whenever I start a new text thread. What do you mean by it pulls up texts? It may just be showing up, because it is in the RECENT contacts. Click on that, and see if that is why the number is in there.

If it is just in the RECENT contacts tab, and is showing up as not saved, go into your Call Log, and delete the number from there. It should stop it from showing up in the Messaging App.

Upvote 0
I have done everything but a hard reset on my phone. went into gmail and looked deep in everything I could on contacts there is nothing there.

I have deleted everything on my phone. except pull out my SD card and see if it is getting it from there.

If I go to "new" text type the number in the right way 10 digit it will pull up the right number when the person responds it reverts back to the 7 digit number. this driving me mad I tell you :/

Upvote 0
OK a quick update I took my card out recycled my phone and I am not syncing with gmail and when I type the number in it still comes up with the number and the name of the person I am about to text. But when I send a text and then I go to send another after closing it down it reverts back to the 7 digit number how do I access the numbers in my phone other then what is on my contact list?

Upvote 0
I am having this same problem. Bought my phone about 3 weeks ago. When I synced in store, not all my contacts came up, the rep told me that it would take up to 2 hours (false) for the contacts to come in. Needed to talk to my business partner; texted his 7 digit number (did not add to contacts). Since then I cannot get it to use his 10 digit number on default. I have gone to a tech, I have erased his contact info, edited, re-edited, deleted old threads, deleted error threads. To text him i must:

Start new message, dial in the 10 digit number; type message... this works.
As soon as I leave the message screen and pull it up again the 10 digit number has switched back to a 7 digit number and if I text him I will get an error message.

This is very annoying, did anyone figure out a solution, the sprint store techs couldn't.

Upvote 0
First post and I will try to make this concise as possible!

1. I put a phone number in my phone except I didn't put an area code in duh I know better.

2. When you do that you can not send a text message.

3. So I deleted the contact and the number. This did not work, every time I went to put the whole number in and hit the message it went to message and the 7 digit number popped up not the 10 digit I needed. Now I know I can go and enter the number or edit it but this is a number that I use a lot.

4. Now all the things I did were outside of my house when I got home I redid everything I did above, 1-3 and on top of that I went to my gmail and contacts and deleted the contact recycled it twice both on the phone and and the contacts to completely purge the contact and number from my phone it was completely gone.

5. And it worked for about an hour when I went to text again after about two texts it went back to the 7 digit number.

6 Why does Android feel that they have to have complete and utter control over my phone. When I delete something I want it deleted is that to much to ask?

7 I don't recall saving the number to my SD card where is the number coming from?

On a side note whenever I go to my phone log and I have every text and phone log (call) on my phone log. I go in change it to only placed calls it reverts back to everything after an hour or two. what is going on?

Thanks for any help.

Finally someone w/ the same problem! But G-D it, I was so hoping someone solved it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones