1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Can't get root with HTC Gingerbread ROM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Prosequimur, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Prosequimur

Prosequimur Newbie
    None

May 16, 2010
    Hi,

I think this might be an obvious answer but I wanted to check I wasn't doing anything silly here...

I just upgraded my stock Desire (AMOLED) from Froyo to Gingerbread using the official HTC release from htcdev.com. The upgrade went fine but I would like to have root as well.

I first upgraded my HBOOT to S-OFF using Revolutionary (as I had HBOOT 1.02). This worked with no problems at all. I had PVT3 so didn't need to do anything else.

Then, I tried to run Unrevoked - but no versions work. :mad: Version 3.21 hangs on "Waiting for root... (safe to restart if this doesn't work)"
    Version 3.32 say "Error: failed to get root. Is your firmware too new?" (as does version 3.31)

I've read the FAQ, guides etc and I have searched but I can't find a simple answer. I'm guessing that my ROM is, as it says, simply too new (since HTC only released it a month ago) but I wanted confirmation if that's the case and preferably some directions to how I could proceed to getting root :)

Thanks all!

Advertisement

2. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Revolutionary does root too. You can't use unrevoked. Best bet is to fastboot flash a recovery (guide in Sig somewhere) then you can backup your Rom if needs. You don't need root to flash Roms by the way.
    There must be a revolutionary guide somewhere

Prosequimur likes this.
  3. Prosequimur

Prosequimur Newbie
    None

May 16, 2010
    Hey, thanks for your quick response - I just had a look at the Revolutionary docs and it states:

Does Revolutionary give me root?
    No. You will need to flash this zipfile from recovery.

But if I can't use Unrevoked, that's info enough for me to be getting on with. I'll post any progress reports here...

4. Prosequimur

Prosequimur Newbie
    None

May 16, 2010
    Aaaaand just following the above instruction got it sorted within about 11 seconds. :eek:

Thanks for the pointer!

Tags: