1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Can't get S3 to pair correctly to PC

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by flyer1, Jan 17, 2013.

1. flyer1

flyer1 Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2012
    Hi. I have a Toshiba laptop using windows 7 64 bit. I am trying to get my S3 to pair to the laptop.
    Both devices are in discoverable mode and they find each other but after I put in the matching code the laptop tries to install some drivers using windows update but it can never find them. I keep getting no driver can be found for the device.
    I've unpaired both devices removed both devices from each other but I still keep getting the same errors. When I go to device manager there are like 8 messages in other devices which say there is no driver installed for this device. I've downloaded the latest bluetooth drivers so I'm not sure where the problem is. Also I"m using a Rocketfish bluetooth adapter.
    Any advice...
    Thanks

Advertisement

2. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 22, 2010
    what???

are you trying to "pair" a phone and a laptop?
    never heard of such a thing...i dont think there are drivers for that

you can pair headphones, microphones, keyboards, mouse, speakers, etc...
    input and output devices. never heard of a phone.

what are you trying to accomplish?

3. neil154

neil154 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Real Estate Agent
    Charlottesville, VA
    You can pair the PC (I have a Dell Studio 1555 with Win 7 64 bit) and a S3. I had no problem in my pairing. I believe you have a driver issue most likely on the PC side. I suggest that you remove all drivers on the PC side and start over. If that doesn't work I would suggest that you try to pair to a different PC if possible so you know that the S3 is okay.

BTW why do you want to pair with the PC? You should be able to do everything thru wifi.

4. flyer1

flyer1 Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2012
    Neil, I had it paired at one time but something must have happened. What drivers do I have to uninstall and how do I do this? It keeps coming up and saying windows update can't find drivers for this device. Thanks.

Dan, Yes you can pair phone and laptop. I can take pictures and video on my phone and transfer it to my computer through bluetooth. Well at least I could at one time.

5. neil154

None

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Real Estate Agent
    Charlottesville, VA
    In your system tray you should see your blue tooth icon. Open the icon and delete device (S3). You also can go into the control panel>Program and features and there should be a bluetooth driver that you can uninstall.

Make sure you know the exact card that is your bluetooth so you can get the latest driver if Windows Update does not automatically find it.

6. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 22, 2010
    get ES EXPLORER app..

share a folder on your PC to the workgroup...
    then via wifi network.. you can access that folder like it was on your phone.

7. flyer1

flyer1 Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2012
    Neil, By downloading latest drivers, do you mean for the toshiba laptop or for my Rocketfish bluetooth adapter. Thanks again for the help.

8. neil154

None

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Real Estate Agent
    Charlottesville, VA
    You will need to do both. When you delete the driver from the PC hopefully Windows Update will find the latest version and install it. When you delete the device on the PC again hopefully Windows will find the latest drivers and insall properly. I don't think there are drivers on the phone that you need to do anything for.

9. flyer1

flyer1 Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2012
    Thanks for the help Neil. I've tried everything and still can't get it to work. I'll have to try something else.

10. neil154

None

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Real Estate Agent
    Charlottesville, VA
    Sorry nothing worked and I am out of ideas escept did you try pairing with another PC?

Also, you never responded why you are trying to pair. What will pairing do for you that you can not accomplish with local wifi?

11. silentwitness

silentwitness Android Expert

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Bombay India
    as neil asked what exactly are u connecting for if u want to transfer files you can try and get Bluetooth file transfer on your phone it apparently helps people with the connection to their computers but I'm not sure I've never tried it so it might just be a better ui than what comes standard.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.medieval.blueftp&hl=en

12. flyer1

flyer1 Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2012
    I finally got bluetooth to work. Before i had the problem I could just send a file to my computer and a message would come up to accept the transfer. Now to get the transfer I have to click on the bluetooth icon in taskbar and then click on receive a file and it works.
    In the meantime I found a neat app called airdroid which works a lot better than bluetooth and is a lot faster to transfer.
    Thanks everyone for the help..