• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can't get tether back

In later roms the app was not included.

I'm somewhat confused by your post, whether you don't have the app or if you can't get it to work.

In any case, here is where you can get the tether app:
Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

If that's not the problem, please describe the issue you're experiencing with some more detail so we can help!

Sorry about that. I should have been more specific. I have the wireless tether app but it has stopped working for me. It worked on previous bugless beast roms until I switched to 7.9 and thats when it stopped working. I am on 2.1 bugless beast V0.4 now and still no tether. When I start wireless tether my wifi icon disappears and it shows 3g icon and no tether. When I stop tether the wifi icon reappears. :thinking:

Upvote 0
The stock wifi icon, right? Meaning that your wifi is turned on? Or do you mean the green icon for wifi tether?

Try turning the wifi off, then start the tethering app.

The tethering app takes care of the wifi state for you. If you connect your droid to the internet through wifi, or if you just have it on for some reason, it will help if you turn it off before you start the tethering app.

When you run wifi tether, you should see the 3g symbol.

Hope this helps, lemme know

Upvote 0
The stock wifi icon, right? Meaning that your wifi is turned on? Or do you mean the green icon for wifi tether?

Try turning the wifi off, then start the tethering app.

The tethering app takes care of the wifi state for you. If you connect your droid to the internet through wifi, or if you just have it on for some reason, it will help if you turn it off before you start the tethering app.

When you run wifi tether, you should see the 3g symbol.

Hope this helps, lemme know

I was turning on the the wifi (stock icon). I tried what you said not cutting on the wifi and starting tether and still a no go. My Mac sees it as a network but when I join it says webpage cannot be displayed and wifi tether show no activity going in or out. Its not a huge deal but I would like it to work. I'm sure its something I might be doing but I don't know what it could be. Like I stated earlier, I had it working on previous BB roms before I upgrade to 7.9

Upvote 0
Hmm. Sounds similar to when I first installed it.

If anything, I would rename the SSID, change the channel, and make sure the power setting is on active.

You may also try a reboot, making sure that wifi is turned off, and try it again.

Can't really help you on the mac side of things unfortunately.

Upvote 0
Hmm. Sounds similar to when I first installed it.

If anything, I would rename the SSID, change the channel, and make sure the power setting is on active.

You may also try a reboot, making sure that wifi is turned off, and try it again.

Can't really help you on the mac side of things unfortunately.

I tried all of this and still nothing. I don't think its a Mac problem. I was able to use my Mac with it before. It shows thats its joined the network but nothing. Also tether also notifies you when someone is connected but it doesn't when I connect. I also tried it with my Ipod and nothing. I can live without it but would like to get it to work. Thanks for all the help guys.

Upvote 0
Try un-installing the version you have... remove the start and stop entries in SU... reboot the phone... then download and install this one wireless_tether_2_0-pre6.apk . It's the most recent tether apk from the google tether project.

I re-installed using this version ...set the SU when it asked.... setup the LAN settings... and walla... good to go. If for some reason it doesnt catch on the first try change the network setting to another class... e.g. a 10.10... network... you know what I mean... and give it a go.

Upvote 0
Try un-installing the version you have... remove the start and stop entries in SU... reboot the phone... then download and install this one wireless_tether_2_0-pre6.apk . It's the most recent tether apk from the google tether project.

I re-installed using this version ...set the SU when it asked.... setup the LAN settings... and walla... good to go. If for some reason it doesnt catch on the first try change the network setting to another class... e.g. a 10.10... network... you know what I mean... and give it a go.

I tried it and it just doesn't work. Thanks for the help though. I give up.:(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones