1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can't get to Recovery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ShadowUlcer, May 18, 2011.

1. ShadowUlcer

ShadowUlcer Newbie

Hey all,

I'm having a problem with my HTC Incredible. For a while now I've been using MIUI, but I decided that I wanted to move to a more Sense oriented ROM instead. So, I downloaded Skyraider 3.5 (among several others) and tried to flash it, but every time it would reboot, the phone gets stuck in the white "HTC Incredible" screen and stay their until the end of time. So, I tried powering off and trying it the old fashion way through hotboot, but still, same thing happens when I select recovery. This has ultimately left in the unfortunate predicament of not being able to turn on my phone.

Any ideas?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Extreme Android User

Reflash recovery in hboot.

3. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User

did you root with unrevoked3? if so you are s-off.and can try flashing a new recovery thru hboot and see if it will let you get to it without hanging on the spash screen.

go here and download the recovery you were using(3.0.0.8 if you wwere using the lastest clockwork). http://dougpiston.com/?page_id=85

extract its contents. take the PB31IMG that contains a recovery image and an android info text document and move it to your phones SD card.

make sure your phones SD card is formatted FAT32. if not,you will have to reformat it before proceding.

rename the recovery file on your sd card "PB31IMG" if youre using a windows computer(it needs to be on your phone as "PB31IMG.zip" and windows adds the .zip).

power off. boot into hboot. you should see a progress bar as the phone finds and checks the file. when it asks you to update do it. after its done,you can do a couple of things.

1)if your phone boots into a functional rom,reboot it. delete PB31IMG from your sd card. now try and get to recovery either from the power off menu(if your rom is so equipped),from rom manager,from quickboot,or from power off/hboot.

hopefully at this point it will go to recovery.

2)if your phone does not boot to a functional rom,after the recovery update finishes,you can pull the battery,and power back on into hboot. i would reccomend to put your sd card in the pc via an adapter and delete PG31IMG before powering back on. if you are unable to do that,i dont think its that big a deal you can just pick "no" to update,then try and access recovery thru hboot.

hopefully at this point it will go to recovery

* if your phone still hangs at the splash screen,you may need to flash the "back to stock" file thru hboot,then repeat the above process again to install a custom recovery. fear not,if you are S-OFF,you wont need to re-root after running the back to stock file.

4. ShadowUlcer

ShadowUlcer Newbie

Will the fact that I'm doing all these setting changes on another Incredible, then moving the SD card over to the rooted on change anything?

5. scotty85

nope :)

6. ShadowUlcer

ShadowUlcer Newbie

Alright so, I'm trying to do what you're saying. I formated my SD card correctly, then moved the file that I downloaded (I went with a Clockwork v 2.5.something because I never had problems with that one) to the sd card so that it's the only thing there at all. I plugged it back into the busted phone, and loaded HBoot.

However, nothing is happening here like you said. I get no status bar or anything, and it doesn't ask me to update anything. Should I try loading Recovery and see what that does?

7. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Extreme Android User

Did you rename the file to PB31IMG.zip ?

8. scotty85

one thing i forgot to mention, you need to check the md5 of the download on the sd card. you can either do it on the working phone by using astro file manager to find the file,long press it,then select details. you can also check it by downloading an app from the market called scary aliens android file verifier.

*very important: make sure the md5 number matches the number on doug pistons site. flashing a corrupt or bad file thru hboot can really mess things up.

after youve verified its the same,there are only 2 reasons that your phone wont find the file:
    1)your sd card is not formatted FAT32
    2)the file is not correctly named "PB31IMG.zip". remember,as i said,windows may automatically add the ".zip" so if you renamed it with the PC,it may be named "PB31IMG.zip.zip" if you manually added the .zip when you renamed it. check the file on the sd card on the working phone and make sure its named correctly. if its only "PB31IMG" when viewing with astro file manager,then youll need to rename(you can use astro to rename the file) and add the .zip extension. if you have 2 .zips :eek: in the filename,youll need to remve one of them ;)

9. ShadowUlcer

ShadowUlcer Newbie

Great...now what I'm running into is the SD card not showing up as mounted in the phone. It says that there's no SD card in the phone, and when I try to press "Mount SD card" all I get is that it's safe to remove it.

FML

10. scotty85

so the working phone does not recognize the SD card?

take it out and blow on it(that always works for electronics ;) ) put it back in. try and wiggle it a little. make sure its in firmly.

if its still no good,it may be FUBARed. does the working phone recognize its own sd card still? if so,you might just put the recovery file on that card and use it to try and get the other one working.

or did you mean that the pc isnt seeing the card when you plug it in via usb?

11. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

If a computer will recognize the card try formatting it again, if not you may need a different card.

HTC Droid Incredible Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible release date was April 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

April 2010
Release Date
Reviews