• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can't get to Recovery

Erich

Mar 6, 2010
When I try to go into recovery, I get the Exclamation mark with the android. I found this:
Check if there's no /system/etc/install-recovery.sh script if you keep booting back in the stock recovery (exclamation mark with a little Android).
I checked and that file is there with permission -r-. How can I fix recovery? I don't want to install any roms until I know recovery is working. I had issues yesterday after trying to install cyan's rom. I had to do a restore. Recovery worked until I did the restore now I can't get into it.
I followed this guide Full Update Guide - Nexus One Firmware to CyanogenMod - CyanogenMod Wiki
At no time did it mention needing root access. But this link says root access is required. [Recovery] [21-Mar-2010] RA-nexus-v1.7.0 - xda-developers

I did not install superboot.

I'm about to give up. I've checked the files, they are not corrupt. I installed 5.0.5 and just get a constant loop of the splash screen.
I did a wipe and restore, phone works, but now I'm back to the ! when trying to get into recovery. I have root access.
So what is the first step to get recovery working again? I have root access. N1 Torch works great.

Upvote 0
I've tried 5.0.5, 5.0.5.1 and neither will work. I either get stuck at bootloader or the constant splashscreen. Can I just install Recovery again to get it working properly? Then i'll try installing the rom again.
ok make sure you have 5.0.5.1 and 5.0.5.3 on your sd card before you boot.

-boot into recovery
-WIPE
-do a 'nand restore' back to the recovery image backup (your first backup)
-then 'flash from zip' your 5.0.5.1
-then 'nand backup'
-then 'flash from zip' 5.0.5.3
-then backup again
-reboot regularly

see if that works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones