1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Can't hear phone calls..3.5mm jack bug

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by themessenger, Apr 4, 2011.

1. themessenger

themessenger Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    The other night I used my phone to stream music at a party. I woke up yesterday and I no longer could hear anything from my phone. I hooked up some headphones so that I could hear my voicemail.. I looked at some other threads and someone suggested to do a nandroid backup. I did that, reflashed velocity etc and my ringtones and notification tones now work, but still I cannot hear the other person through the earpiece, and they can not hear me through the mic. Speaker phone is still greyed out. I've tried running a 3.5mm jack in and out and also blew the hole out with duster with no luck. This isn't my original phone, so verizon warranty won't cover it, and my original phone has a cracked screen so the customer service rep said they won't take that one either.

Advertisement

2. savoxis

savoxis Android Expert
    None

Aug 10, 2010
    ODOT Field Services Tech
    Pacific NW
    It is most likely a hardware issue.

Form the sounds of it you have 2 ally
    If I remember correctly, you dont need to break any stickers to take the phone apart. You should be able to take the entire digitizer/screen assembly off the no audio one and put it on the original one, This may not fix the hw failure, but at the very least it would allow them to return it under warranty

3. themessenger

None

Dec 29, 2010
    Ok. I'm going to see if I can find a fix, if not I'll do that. I have insurance on the broke screen ally but I bought this one for less than my deductible. I'd really like to not spend any more money. If I could switch the screens that would be awesome.

netizenmt likes this.
  4. savoxis

savoxis Android Expert
    None

Aug 10, 2010
    ODOT Field Services Tech
    Pacific NW
    You will be surprised how simple it is. Just need a small screwdriver and a little common sense. The screen is only connected to the mb with a single ribbon cable

5. jwish

jwish Newbie
    None

Oct 25, 2010
    I've had this issue a couple times and messed around pulling the headphones out during calls and audio apps several times and it eventually fixed. I also tried cleaning out the jack with a q-tip, I don't know if that made any difference.

6. flick159

flick159 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Freelance Photography/Website Design
    Had the same issue with my first ally. The headphone jack gets stuck. Plug in headphones and remove them a few times and see if it solves the issue.

7. themessenger

None

Dec 29, 2010
    Yeah, I figured the sensor pin was stuck. I've put a jack in and taken it out several times. I'm going to try some more today because I looked up a guide to switch digitizers and you have to pull a sticker.

8. kyle5434

kyle5434 Member
    None

Dec 18, 2010
    This was a fairly common problem with the Palm Treo devices as well - mine suffered from it. I haven't actually tried to use the headphone jack on my Ally yet. I don't use it for music, and I use a bluetooth headset for extended phone calls.

9. themessenger

None

Dec 29, 2010
    Yeah, still can't get it to go. I don't know what to do. It's pay 100 dollars for the insurance on my original phone and have a worthless 2nd ally or switch the digitizers and hope and pray that nothing else happens to the original so that I'll have to send it in.

10. themessenger

None

Dec 29, 2010
    Fixed it! That'll be the last time I use the headphone jack. Pathetic you have to worry about something so simple. :mad:

11. LoraBaby

LoraBaby Lurker
    None

May 22, 2011
    I used my Ally as a music player in my jeep and everything was working fine until I unplugged from the radio. I could receive phone calls but could not hear anyone nor could they hear me. I fixed it by taking the headphone adapter that I used for my car radio dipped the tip of the plug into some rubbing alcohol and inserted it back into my Ally headphone jack about 3 times. Once doing this my phone started working normally. Simple fix but frustrating at the same time.

Tags: