• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't install HTC Sync on PC

jb4kats

Oct 27, 2009
Bluegrass State
I can't install the Sync software to my pc. I keep getting this error "The Generic Device Manager Executable has encountered an error and install cannot continue.
I have tried to un-install and reinstall several times and even downloaded from HTC support and same thing happens, so I am assuming it has something to do with my pc.
The pc has reconized the phone and actually the HTC window pops up but I can't click on the Syncronize Now or on the HTC Sync, and on the right side bottom of that window it shows phone as disconnected.
I am running Window XP and don't know if this matters, but I am also running IE 8.

stupid question maybe but have you tried pulling the notification bar down on the phone once its plugged into the pc and selected htc sync to start it communicating with the pc ?? you can also set the phone as a mass storage device in the same menu. sorry if you have tried this but its the first bit to test if you do indeed have the htc window popping up (i dont think it would/could if not correctly installed).

Upvote 0
Well, this is the problem, if the executable file won't install then I would assume that is why it won't connect don't you think? I have tried what you suggested and I had tried that before but I tried it again to make sure but it says "Unable to find HTC Sync on your PC so this is what is puzzling that the HTC window pops up when the phone is connected but still shows it as disconnected *ugh* this is so nerve racking. I also have contacted HTC support but haven't gotten any response yet.

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem with european HTC Hero(using it in the US). I DL'd HTC Sync Upgrade just now. My phone says its connected, I can see it on my PC. However, HTC Sync says that it is disconnected.

Oh, but I am not getting the ""The Generic Device Manager Executable has encountered an error and install cannot continue" error, though.

I just want to upgrade the ROM. Grrr!

Upvote 0
I had a very similar problem not being able to install HTC Sync whereas it would install on my girlfirend's netbook. My problem was that I used to have a Sony phone therefore had the Sony sync software, once I uninstalled this after a month of trying other things I was able to install HTC sync straight away without the error 1713 message.

Hope this helps in case you have any other sync software installed

Upvote 0
Hi!

This has made me think to why HTC Sync would not install in Vista but would on my XP machine. I had removed Sony sync software which was not present on my XP machine but still remained to fail on the Vista one.
I now wonder if the TomTom (Satnav) sync software interfers with HTC Sync, then failing to install with the same error?
When I get home will try this theory out.
Thank you - boilerhouse

Upvote 0
well Im glad Im not the only one having this problem, but I do think it stinks that HTC or Sprint are unaware and have no clue to what I am talking about.

Hi - Just got an HTC Tattoo and having the same prob installing HTC Sync - just get 'Generic Device Management Executable' errors. Have disabled all antivirus, firewalls etc as instructed, using latest version of Sync off the HTC website - anyone made any progress with this issue?

Martin

Upvote 0
HTC Sync is a pain to install and run. Turning off the Firewall when installing and running helps. Sometimes you may also need to restart the phone to get the phone and PC working together.

I have not had the Generic Device Management Executable error, but according to a quick Google, it is from Generic.exe which you will find in Program Files/Common Files/Teleca Shared. It is also installed by Sony Ericsson phones, so maybe there is a conflict. On my PC the version of Generic.exe is 1.6.0.556 and dated 29/9/09. These were installed as part of the latest version of HTC Sync, which is working for me on Windows 7.

It might be worth, if you are reinstalling HTC Sync anyway, deleting the contents of the Teleca Shared folder as well. Because they are Common Files, it might be that an older version is not being overwritten.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestions - having checked my PC it does not have a Teleca folder, or any other instances of generic.exe. Have also been in touch with HTC who suggested having the phone plugged in to USB prior to the installation - this too had no effect, still getting the same error (have tried on both desktop and laptop with the same results). Apparently there is a new release of HTC sync out in January - let's hope that solves the problems....

Shame that these sync problems let the phone down. :mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones