• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root cant install IHO recovery

Keep in mind that the IHO recovery works on some "V"s, and doesn't on others. Try renaming the recovery to recovery.img on the sd card. Then make sure you type in exactly that name in the line of code were it reads: flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

If it doesn't work for you,use the aospCWMod that's recommended for the IHO-CM7 ROM,s.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind that the IHO recovery works on some "V"s, and doesn't on others. Try renaming the recovery to recovery.img on the sd card. Then make sure you type in exactly that name in the line of code were it reads: flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

If it doesn't work for you,use the aospCWMod that's recommended for the IHO-CM7 ROM,s.

I used the recovery from the thread "how to install a custom recovery without a computer" and installing cm7 bricked my phone

Upvote 0
If your ultimate goal is to install a IHO-CM7 ROM like the BACKside ROM. Then it would be best to download the asopCWMod recovery that's found here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...-rom-cm7-green-machine-theme.html#post2971206
Scroll down until you see the "Download Links" just below the screen shoots.Download the asopCWMod recovery and the ROM,and Gapps. If you want to download the theme(I like the Green theme,others don't),do so.

Have you rooted the new phone yet? If so and you used this guide http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/380801-guide-rooting-without-computer.html and have made a backup of you stock ROM in the recovery mode(this is called a nandroid backup)
Then you need to download Titanium Backup and go to the Backup/Restore section. Hit the menu key on the phone. Select Batch.Select "Backup all user apps" when it's done then you can proceed to installing the recovery.
Make sure the recovery is unzipped and on the root of the sd card(not in any file,but put it somewhere near the bottom of the list of file folders).
For ease of installation rename the asop recovery to asoprecovery.img that way you will be able to tell it from the xionia recovery you renamed vrecovery.img(you could also rename the xionia to xrecovery.img,and the asop to arecovery.img,which is what I did).
You want to keep xionia recovery on your sd card as it has an option in the advanced section that will fix a recovery loop(We all make mistakes some times)

A good rule of thumb: flash_image and recovery's need to be unzipped. Kernels,ROM's,theme's,and boot animations need to remain zipped.

Once you have renamed the asop recovery then open up the terminal emulator and type in this:
su(return)
mount_-o_remount,rw_-t_yaffs2_/system_/system(return)
flash_image_recovery_/sdcard/asoprecovery.img(or what ever you decided to rename it to, just as long as it's spelled out the same as it is on the sd card)(return)
reboot_recovery(return)

The red underscores are where the spaces should be, do not type them.
(return)=do not type this. Just hit the enter key(the one on the bottom right)

6. You should now be in your recovery. To scroll use the up/down volume keys. To select use the camera key. In Xionia recovery the selection key could be either the home key or the menu key(if you chose one and it makes your screen go blank,then hit it again and then use the other key instead).

Check in the back up and restore section and see if your backup is there(which it should be).

Now your ready to install the ROM and Gapps. Do all these things(they must be done or the residual data that's left behind because they weren't,will corrupt the ROM and it will act all funky,or freeze,or randomly reboot).
1.wipe cache partition.
2.wipe dalvik cache(advanced section)
3.wipe data/factory reset.Now that your rooted YOU MUST NEVER USE THE FACTORY RESET IN THE PRIVACY MENU ON THE PHONE
4.format boot,system,data,and cache
5.go to install zip from sd card
6.go to select zip from sd card,chose the ROM first. It will go thru the install procedure. When done go back to step 6. and select the gapps.
When all this is done select reboot system now.

It will take 5-10min. for the initial reboot. You will be asked to sign in,skip this.

Now you can go to the market app and click on it and sign in to your google account(you must have your e-mail address and log in code). Then download Titanium Backup from the Market.Reboot the phone twice then set up your apps by going to the Titanium Backup app and selecting the Backup/restore option.Then hit the menu button on the phone.Select Batch.Scroll down to Restore and select "Restore missing apps with data"(use only this option,never restore a system app or data as this will corrupt the new ROM). Once you get everything set up just the way you like it and all your apps are just where you want them,go back into your recovery and make a backup of that ROM. You can now delete the first backup if you need to (you might keep it if you ever need to revert back to stock to sell the phone).

If you want to install a theme(I would suggest waiting to install a theme until after you have a couple of reboots on a new ROM) all you have to do is go into the recovery and wipe cache partition and dalvik cache,then do the same thing you did to install the ROM(theme must remain zipped)
When you need to install an update to an installed ROM,all you have to do is wipe cache,and dalvik.

To change the boot animation (must remain zipped) go to /system/media(make sure that you have changed permission of the system from r/o to r/w) and delete the boot animation found there. Then copy the boot animation you have on the sd card and paste it where the old animation used to be(on next reboot it will be there)

If you followed the Rooting tutorial exactly,and do all these^ things you will have a killer ROM that even LG+VM can't even begin to compare with(assuming they ever get around to updating the "V")

Always check and double check your work before hitting the enter key so you don't cause any problems(I went and got a pair of reading glasses so I could double check my work when using the small print,hard to read terminal emulator)

I'll try and keep an I on this thread in case you have any problems or questions. Will only be able to check early morning and early afternoon Florida time.

Upvote 0
If your ultimate goal is to install a IHO-CM7 ROM like the BACKside ROM. Then it would be best to download the asopCWMod recovery that's found here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...-rom-cm7-green-machine-theme.html#post2971206
Scroll down until you see the "Download Links" just below the screen shoots.Download the asopCWMod recovery and the ROM,and Gapps. If you want to download the theme(I like the Green theme,others don't),do so.

Have you rooted the new phone yet? If so and you used this guide http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/380801-guide-rooting-without-computer.html and have made a backup of you stock ROM in the recovery mode(this is called a nandroid backup)
Then you need to download Titanium Backup and go to the Backup/Restore section. Hit the menu key on the phone. Select Batch.Select "Backup all user apps" when it's done then you can proceed to installing the recovery.
Make sure the recovery is unzipped and on the root of the sd card(not in any file,but put it somewhere near the bottom of the list of file folders).
For ease of installation rename the asop recovery to asoprecovery.img that way you will be able to tell it from the xionia recovery you renamed vrecovery.img(you could also rename the xionia to xrecovery.img,and the asop to arecovery.img,which is what I did).
You want to keep xionia recovery on your sd card as it has an option in the advanced section that will fix a recovery loop(We all make mistakes some times)

A good rule of thumb: flash_image and recovery's need to be unzipped. Kernels,ROM's,theme's,and boot animations need to remain zipped.

Once you have renamed the asop recovery then open up the terminal emulator and type in this:
su(return)
mount_-o_remount,rw_-t_yaffs2_/system_/system(return)
flash_image_recovery_/sdcard/asoprecovery.img(or what ever you decided to rename it to, just as long as it's spelled out the same as it is on the sd card)(return)
reboot_recovery(return)

The red underscores are where the spaces should be, do not type them.
(return)=do not type this. Just hit the enter key(the one on the bottom right)

6. You should now be in your recovery. To scroll use the up/down volume keys. To select use the camera key. In Xionia recovery the selection key could be either the home key or the menu key(if you chose one and it makes your screen go blank,then hit it again and then use the other key instead).

Check in the back up and restore section and see if your backup is there(which it should be).

Now your ready to install the ROM and Gapps. Do all these things(they must be done or the residual data that's left behind because they weren't,will corrupt the ROM and it will act all funky,or freeze,or randomly reboot).
1.wipe cache partition.
2.wipe dalvik cache(advanced section)
3.wipe data/factory reset.Now that your rooted YOU MUST NEVER USE THE FACTORY RESET IN THE PRIVACY MENU ON THE PHONE
4.format boot,system,data,and cache
5.go to install zip from sd card
6.go to select zip from sd card,chose the ROM first. It will go thru the install procedure. When done go back to step 6. and select the gapps.
When all this is done select reboot system now.

It will take 5-10min. for the initial reboot. You will be asked to sign in,skip this.

Now you can go to the market app and click on it and sign in to your google account(you must have your e-mail address and log in code). Then download Titanium Backup from the Market.Reboot the phone twice then set up your apps by going to the Titanium Backup app and selecting the Backup/restore option.Then hit the menu button on the phone.Select Batch.Scroll down to Restore and select "Restore missing apps with data"(use only this option,never restore a system app or data as this will corrupt the new ROM). Once you get everything set up just the way you like it and all your apps are just where you want them,go back into your recovery and make a backup of that ROM. You can now delete the first backup if you need to (you might keep it if you ever need to revert back to stock to sell the phone).

If you want to install a theme(I would suggest waiting to install a theme until after you have a couple of reboots on a new ROM) all you have to do is go into the recovery and wipe cache partition and dalvik cache,then do the same thing you did to install the ROM(theme must remain zipped)
When you need to install an update to an installed ROM,all you have to do is wipe cache,and dalvik.

To change the boot animation (must remain zipped) go to /system/media(make sure that you have changed permission of the system from r/o to r/w) and delete the boot animation found there. Then copy the boot animation you have on the sd card and paste it where the old animation used to be(on next reboot it will be there)

If you followed the Rooting tutorial exactly,and do all these^ things you will have a killer ROM that even LG+VM can't even begin to compare with(assuming they ever get around to updating the "V")

Always check and double check your work before hitting the enter key so you don't cause any problems(I went and got a pair of reading glasses so I could double check my work when using the small print,hard to read terminal emulator)

I'll try and keep an I on this thread in case you have any problems or questions. Will only be able to check early morning and early afternoon Florida time.

how do i make a nandroid backup? (sorry for tyhe noobish qustions i came from a samsung prevail and its WAY diffrent)

Upvote 0
i did some reserch after another "flash_image not found" looked up romtools seemed like a bad idea my omputer is known to fail woith oneclick on my prevail so adb wont work and i cant figure out fastboot

if you follow the link in Andy post about rooting without a computer that will take you step by step how to root you're phone with gingerbreak and how to install flash_image. Its very detailed and very easy to follow if you follow all the steps and don't skip anything if you do you will brick another phone. Do exactly what it says don't skip anything if you had already you would have a custom recovery and flash_image. ROM tool does not work on this phone especially yours since it is updated. So do exactly what it says all the easy through don't skip anything its not hard you just have to fallow the instructions or you'll never get it to work.

You can't make a backup with the stock recovery, fallow those directions.

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0
how do i make a nandroid backup? (sorry for tyhe noobish qustions i came from a samsung prevail and its WAY diffrent)
You do that once you have installed a custom recovery. It will have an option "backup and restore". In this option select backup,and it will backup the current installed ROM(you might save this backup in case you decide to revert back to stock)and put it on the sd card in a folder entitled clockworkmod.

Upvote 0
i did some reserch after another "flash_image not found" looked up romtools seemed like a bad idea my omputer is known to fail woith oneclick on my prevail so adb wont work and i cant figure out fastboot
follow the link to "Guide to rooting without a computer". Everything works. Follow my directions ^ above. Read my directions before getting started. Then go to the tutorial link. Please read everything before asking Questions. Then if something doesn't seem to work right,read both again. If still having trouble then post in the "Guide to rooting without a computer"(will be expecting to see you there).

Upvote 0
follow the link to "Guide to rooting without a computer". Everything works. Follow my directions ^ above. Read my directions before getting started. Then go to the tutorial link. Please read everything before asking Questions. Then if something doesn't seem to work right,read both again. If still having trouble then post in the "Guide to rooting without a computer"(will be expecting to see you there).

i ended up using ROMtools wirth i flashed CWM recovery AND BACKside and its working alright

Upvote 0
ALLLLLRIIIght! You should be good to go. Hope some of all the info that was given by the members was useful. Don't forget that it wouldn't hurt to put Xionia recovery on your sd card too as it has an option in the advanced section to fix a recovery loop(this is why I have it on my sd card)

Later if you want to be fully rooted and your OS is 2.2.1 DO NOT USE SuperOneclick to root unless you follow this tutorial which can be found here http://forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/57485-how-root-lg-optimus-v.html
(JUST HITTING THE ROOT BUTTON WILL MESS UP THE"V", YOU HAVE TO USE THE SHELL ROOT BUTTON AND PUSH SU AND BUSYBOX USING A COMMAND PROMPT)
Where it say to use the JDK and SDK ,you can speed things up by using this instead http://www.support-4-you.com/main/i...d-adb-installation&catid=40:how-tos&Itemid=57

If your OS is 2.2.2 then you need to root using this tutorial http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/380801-guide-rooting-without-computer.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones