1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Cant load contacts from google

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by ProgX, Feb 7, 2016.

1. ProgX

ProgX Lurker

This is a repost with more info as I can't access the original. I had a LG G2. when I got that phone and logged into my google account only 7 contacts loaded. A few M's a couple R's and S's. Which I thought was weird. The girl at Verizon said it could take a couple hours for it to load the rest. Eventually I got all the contacts loaded. That phone broke the other day and I went and got a Maxx 2. I'm having the same problem. the same 7 contacts loaded but the rest wont. Its been almost a full day. I tried hitting the sync button again but no luck. They don't seem to be saved on the cloud either. I went on my google account through m y browser and those 7 contacts are the only ones there. Someone in the other post said I'm not saving the contacts to google. Then why did they load on the G2? I don't do anything different anytime I add a contact to my phone. Any help would be great. Or maybe I'm just s.o.l. The only thing i salvaged from the G2 was the sim card. Is there anyway they saved to that and I can get them? other than that the phone is completely shot.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

OK, here's a more detailed explanation...

Contacts can usually be stored in 3 places.

1. As Google contacts. These are stored on the phone and synced to your Google account (unless sync is turned off).
    2. As Phone contacts. These are stored locally on the phone only and not synced.
    3. As SIM contacts.

You must have been saving contacts to #2 or #3 when you thought you were saving them to #1.

I suggest trying to find all your contacts on the phone under SIM or Phone storage. I'm not familiar with your phone but the manual or Google search should help with instructions on how to access them.

Then consolidate all contacts into your existing Google account. Make a kinda master copy. This little guide will get everything into one cleaned up, easy to maintain list accessible and maintainable from your phone or computer. And automatic backup so contacts are never lost. Phone contacts are not backed up. SIM contacts is old, outdated technology that should not be considered a viable option.

To export contacts, import them to Gmail, delete all contacts on the phone and resync a clean contacts list to the phone follow these steps:

1. Turn off sync in the phone. This is to keep it from interfering with what you're about to do by trying to sync again because it detects changes being made.

2. Export contacts on the phone to Gmail. Open the Contacts app and tap Menu. Select Import/export, then Export to storage. The contacts will be exported as a .vcf file. Do this for Google contacts, phone contacts, and SIM contacts. You will probably have to export SIM contacts as a .csv file. That's ok .csv files work fine. Make a duplicate copy of the .vcf and .csv files as a safety backup.

3. Delete all contacts on the phone. This so it can have a fresh start when you download your fresh new contacts list and contacts still on the phone don't corrupt it. Then just for good measure do: Settings > Apps > All > Google contacts > Clear cache > Clear data. When finished, there should be no contacts on the phone except your Exchange contacts.

5. Login to Gmail and import the .vcf and .csv file into Gmail contacts.

6. In Gmail contacts, click on More and select Merge duplicate contacts. Then check the list for errors and do any needed edits. When satisfied export a .vcf file copy for backup and put it in a safe place.

7. Enable contacts sync on the phone and wait for the corrected contacts list to download.

Done.

#2 Crashdamage, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    psionandy likes this.