1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Can't lock my device and replace the screen password via Android Device Manager

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Cyvene, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Cyvene

Cyvene Lurker
    None

Dec 23, 2014
    Hi!

I'm trying to lock my device and replace the screen device password via Android Device Manager but whenever I tried it I got an error of :

Your new password was not strong enough. Your device has the following password requirements:
    NaN - 16 characters long

And yes, I put over 16 characters with all sorts of combinations like all letters, all numbers, all symbols or combination of them along with capitals but the error just kept appearing. I tried to find an email contact for Google android support but couldn't find any so I was wondering if posting here would be better.

I encountered the problem with my phone because it got locked out after I tried to uninstall Prey. It now locked my screen with a password I can't remember because I haven't used Prey for so long. The email I registered it with also no longer usable since Sep 2013 so "Forgot Password" is no longer an option. I've contacted Prey support but haven't received reply for 3 days and with Christmas and New Year's coming up, I'm afraid it won't get solved until next year.

So the few solutions I could think of are these :

- The error on Android Device manager got fixed and I could replace the screen password set by Prey. Might require support from Google but I couldn't find the direct email contact for it.
    - Use another way to replace the screen password using my Google Account or phone number, maybe with another app that could be activated without entering the phone.
    - Prey helps me send the reset password to my new email that's currently active. I'm still waiting for their reply and hopefully they'll do so before the holidays.

Please help me achieve those solutions or if there are better ones, I'm all ears as a hard reset would cost me a lot of time. Contacts, SMS and media are already backed up in the cloud and the only loss would be Google Authenticator data which couldn't be backed up because I was too lazy to switch to Authy or install Titanium Backup. Contacting every account website to reset the 2FA would take quite a long time although I've managed to recover a few essential ones that uses my phone number to disable the 2FA.

Any help is appreciated, thanks! :)

Advertisement

2. ChristianKilledYourDog

None

Jan 12, 2015
    Male
    Since resetting is not an option can you just disable it in the Android Device manager, I am a bit confuzzled here, haha:)

3. Hugspecced

Hugspecced Newbie
    None

Jan 3, 2015
    Male
    Samsung Tech Support Rep
    Colorado
    I'm pretty sure this means the password needs to be under 16 characters. I've used Android Device Manager to change a password several times and I've never had to do more than 8-10 characters. Try between 6-16 characters including a capital, number, and special symbol.

4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    "NaN" is interesting: in computer speak that normally means "Not a Number", and I've generally only seen it when I meet a "divide by zero" error.

Not sure what it means in this context, but I think Hugspecced it right to suggest trying something shorter than 16 characters.