• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't log into Disqus

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 with Marshmallow. I have no full-size computer. I want to join a discussion on a site that uses Disqus. But I can't log into Disqus, on that site oron any other.

I've hit the "Forgot your password?" link many times, on both my browsers. Disqus always says they've sent a password-reset email to my email address. But that email NEVER shows up, neither in the inbox, nor in the spam folder nor even in the trash folder.

This happened several years ago, when I had my latest Disqus passwords in my password manager. Disqus said both passwords were invalid, so I deleted Disqus from my password manager.

Thinking I might have no Disqus account after all, I've tried creating a new account, but Disqus says there's already an account at my email address.

I can't log in through social media because I'm a social-media holdout; IMNSHO social media are evil. And the "Logging into Disqus" article is no help at all; it just sends me to what I've been doing without success, or to links that don't exist. I even emailed the manager of the site where I want to comment - no answer from them either.

For several years I just sadly concluded that I couldn't join in any discussions on any site with Disqus. Now I've found a conversation that I'm longing to join. Other people are happily commenting on Disqus threads - they all have access to their Disqus accounts. What are they doing that I'm not doing?

It's nearly always not that important to me, but this time it's that 1 thread out of 1000, on a subject that is important to me and on which I think I can make an important contribution that others weren't making the last time I looked. That's why I'm flipping out about Disqus for the first time in 2 or 3 years.

But the fact is that Disqus is very popular with website owners, and it sure beats comment threads for Facebookers only.

Social-media holdouts are rare - that is, those who never had accounts in the first place - and maybe the thing that other Disqus-ers are doing that I'm not doing is joining through social media. Tho with the recent exposés of social media there seem to be more ex-social-media users.

But before I consider opening a new account, I'm considering conservative measures such as logging out of Yahoo Mail and logging back in, uninstalling and reinstalling the Yahoo Mail app, and accessing Yahoo Mail on a real computer (at an Internet café or library).

The reason I say this is that I had the same problem with the Washington Post - not getting password-reset emails. Fortunately WaPo lets you speak with a human being. With Disqus, one-on-one troubleshooting is only for owners of big websites.

But I have to wonder after skimming Disqus's privacy policy, whether Disqus is just as evil as Facebook.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones