1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Can't make it work. "Upgraded" Orange San Francisco, what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mof, Jun 20, 2011.

1. mof

mof Lurker
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    Tropical Fish
    Bolton, England
    Hi... I recently bought an "upgraded" Orange San Francisco (ZTE Blade) but I'm having problems setting up internet and email. Most of the Orange stuff has been removed and it is running Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread. Being my first "Smart Phone", all of this is new to me... (apart from the wife's Samsung Galaxy Fit which seems simple in comparison.) Anyway... I can recieve email but not send. Plus, connection to the internet via the browser results in a network connection error message. However, it has managed to consume a significant amount of credit without me being aware of it. I have spoken to Orange customer services at length with no luck. At the time of writing, they are going to text me an update to try... the usual open/switch off/remove battery performance. Connecting to the internet via my home router is fine. Has anyone purchased the same upgraded / rooted phone and if so, did you have any problems. Educate me please... sorry for the long post. Any suggestions appreciated.

Advertisement

2. dannymur

dannymur Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    Male
    Ireland's Lake Land
    Hi mof....

So, you bought an ZTE Blade/OSF, with a non-stock ROM, i.e. not Orange, probably, almost definitely Cyanogen..you sure??

Check: Settings/About phone/...you should see

Model..Android Version...Kernel...Build and some other stuff.

See vid for some info...

YouTube - ‪how to update zte blade to cyanogenmod 7 stable‬‏

If you confirm Cyanogen, then you must know, Orange will not offer much support. These San Francisco's were sold with Android 2.1 (Eclair)...and they have not provided an upgrade even to Froyo 2.2, never mind 2.3.

You say Internet, WiFi, is OK via your Home Network?

Also, are you on the Orange Network? Not sure, but do they have a Data Plan?

As the phone is Sim Unlocked easily, and I presume yours is, you do not have to stay with Orange....lot's of peeps in UK are on GiffGaff, seems really cheap.

However, as you are eating Data, you should check just what Data Plan you are on.

Have you set up your APN (Access Point Name) correctly, that is what you need for Network Data, on Orange...

AFAIK the settings for Internet and MMS on Orange UK are in this post

Get back if you need more help.....

3. ElasticNinja

ElasticNinja Android Expert
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Student
    Cork City, IMF, EU
  4. dannymur

dannymur Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    Male
    Ireland's Lake Land
    Oh, also, just in case, make sure Data Enabled when on Mobile Data either on Power Control or in Settings/Wireless & network.....not totally sure for CM.

Agree with shadowninty....also upgrade CM version....

which of course I have not done yet :eek:

but very soon!!

5. mof

mof Lurker
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    Tropical Fish
    Bolton, England
    I mentioned being able to recieve email but not send... I meant to say text (sms), not email. I can't send or recieve email because I cant get onto the internet. I can recieve text messages, but can't send or reply. I'm convinced it must be a simple setting that needs changing but I just can't find it after several hours. Naturally Orange has not yet contacted me with their promised update. They don't support Android 2.3.3 anyway so I'm not expecting a eureka moment anytime soon.

Tags: