• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't make or receive calls and no sounds working - HELP!

Soph0689

Lurker
May 3, 2016
My M8 can no longer make calls (the dialler freezes, screen starts flickering black, and eventually I have to restart the phone) or receive calls (the caller doesn't hear ringing or even get my voicemail - they immediately get the "your call cannot be completed as dialled" message). Oddly, if my phone is completely turned off, the caller hears ringing and then it goes to my voicemail. But if the phone is on, they get the "call cannot be completed" message. No sounds work (not even my alarm or sample ringtones). I can play videos that are saved on my phone (without sound because that doesn't work anywhere) but I can't stream any videos from YouTube, Facebook, etc. They load, play for about one frame, then freeze.

I've cleared the cache. I've re-started in Safe Mode. And I've done a factory reset. Still the same issues. I called HTC and they think it's an issue with my carrier. I called my carrier and they've tried everything including resetting my account - they think it's a problem with my phone.

This all happened (seemingly) out of nowhere. It was fine and then just stopped working. My phone is set up to auto-update though so it's possible something updated without me realizing that caused this to happen. But nobody seems to be able to figure out where the issue is.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm happy to pay to have the phone repaired (within reason), but I don't even know who I should be taking it to (i.e. is it a software issue, hardware issue, network issue...) - I just keep getting bounced around because nobody can tell where the problem is.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones