• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't make / receive calls on LG G4

discojen

Feb 24, 2016
Hi all

I have a bit of a conundrum with my LG G4. I have an iD Mobile sim, and currently I can send texts, use the internet via mobile data, but I can't make or receive calls. I have phoned the iD Mobile helpdesk people, and my sim is active, no problems there. They told me to take my phone to Carphone Warehouse to check if it was that the sim was faulty. They checked the phone with a different sim card, and the phone did make calls. They gave me a new sim but I am still having the same problem.

One thing that is puzzling me is that when I go to Settings/Call/Voicemail, the Service - My Carrier option is greyed out. On the same page if I click on Settings the Voicemail Number is also greyed out.

I had an LG G3 before, which developed a fault. It has taken three months of constant harassment with their Customer Support people to get a replacement phone, and I am loath to send this new phone (received last Saturday, brand new, LG G4 as an upgrade to say sorry for taking so long sorting out the issue) back to them as they take forever to do anything. I don't know if it's a Settings thing I am missing, or if there could be a fault with the phone (please no!).

Any suggestions gratefully received :)

I never even heard of iD mobile before today! Do they piggyback off EE for network because the coverage checker says good signal by me.
Anyway, back to your problem, doesn't sound like a phone problem as the other sim worked in your phone, I would suggest it is a problem with your sim or something hasn't been set up correctly in your account. Did they try your sim in one of their phones too?

Upvote 0
Hi there

iD Mobile is from Carphone Warehouse. I tried the sim in my Huawei phone (which was the phone I was using while waiting for the LG people to sort out my G3), and it worked fine. Everyone I have spoken to is very confused about this!
Also, I have data, calls, and texts on my plan.

Upvote 0
It is peculiar. Few things to try
Go into call settings>call barring, make sure all those are selected to off. If no luck...
Go to app settings, press menu reset defaults/preferences, just in case you somehow use another app set to default calling. If still no luck...
Scroll across to all in app settings and clear the data in "phone" etc. I would backup first as I'm not entirely sure what this would do. If still no luck...
Factory Reset. If still no luck...
Meither CW about it until they cave and swap your device / sim. Very strange that your sim works in other phones and other sims work in that phone...

Upvote 0
psionandy - I had a LG G3 which I had bought. It developed a fault, I sent it back to LG and because they messed me about they ended up sending me an LG G4 as a replacement. The sim is sim-only.

SavageRobot - If I click on call barring I get an error message - Call Settings error - Network or SIM card error. I don't understand this as I have already swapped the sim card, and I can see bars on the display, and the phone knows it is connected to iD Mobile, and I can send / receive texts. Hmm.

Upvote 0
Can you change it to WCDMA/LTE only? If yes, see if that makes a difference.
Didn't think about this actually, iD don't do 2g so perhaps that is something to do with it if it's trying to pick that up.

Hang on a sec... You got this phone as an upgrade? But id don't do handsets.... Sim only contracts... So where did the phone come from?

Also, iD do do phones too by the looks http://www.idmobile.co.uk/shop/pay-monthly/LG-G4-Black-Leather?tid=IDWIC086 their G4 offers for example.

Upvote 0
OK, if I change network mode I have a choice of GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto, GSM/WCDMA auto, or WCDMA only. If I change it to either of the last two my bars disappear - no coverage.
You would need LTE (4G) and/or WCDMA (3G) as that is the only network iD use, so certainly wouldn't pick anything up on GSM and you must be in a 4G area at the moment if it's not picking up 3G either.

Upvote 0
I think you have got confused here - I have always had an iD sim. I used it in my G3, then the Huawei, and now in the G4. It was when I put it in the G4 that it wouldn't let me phone. I went to Carphone Warehouse, they swapped the sim for a new one, and I am still unable to make or receive calls on the G4. While at Carephone Warehouse they tried an O2 sim in my G4 phone, and it made calls. This is why everyone is confused - the sim works in other phones, other sims work in the G4. It is just the iD Mobile sims that won't let me make calls. But, I can text / use the internet. I suspect it may be a setting within the G4. It's a puzzle!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones