• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't mount /data in recovery

josevarez

Lurker
Feb 27, 2016
Hi. First i need to apologize for my english.

The LG F3 is of my nephew
Well, all starts with the 'security error' in the F3 of Virgin Mobile. I tried to unbrick and with all tutorials i found always the LG Flash Tools says: stopped working. The phone pass the 'security error' and tried to upload a ROM so instal recovery and instal a ROM from this forum. A few weeks laters the ROM it started to get me problems, freeze and loose the mobile signal so my nephew stop to use the phone that days.

This monday my nephew say to me the change the ROM, so I install the rom stock V7 to see what happen. So the phone starts and the good surprise it had mobile signal again. Now, my nephew tells me he came a notificaion of an update OTA and he instaled. And the phone reboot and he stop in the recovery (CMW).

So now only the phone does is enter in to recovery and stay there. I tried to mount /data and said can't mount /data partition also in /sdcard.

Any help please. And again sorry for the bad english.

Hi. First i need to apologize for my english.

The LG F3 is of my nephew
Well, all starts with the 'security error' in the F3 of Virgin Mobile. I tried to unbrick and with all tutorials i found always the LG Flash Tools says: stopped working. The phone pass the 'security error' and tried to upload a ROM so instal recovery and instal a ROM from this forum. A few weeks laters the ROM it started to get me problems, freeze and loose the mobile signal so my nephew stop to use the phone that days.

This monday my nephew say to me the change the ROM, so I install the rom stock V7 to see what happen. So the phone starts and the good surprise it had mobile signal again. Now, my nephew tells me he came a notificaion of an update OTA and he instaled. And the phone reboot and he stop in the recovery (CMW).

So now only the phone does is enter in to recovery and stay there. I tried to mount /data and said can't mount /data partition also in /sdcard.

Any help please. And again sorry for the bad english.
Did u try to restore an back up?

Upvote 0
I've had it happen after using one of those apps that swap the interal sd, with the external sd, which jelly bean kind of does by default anyway. I took a freshly fat32 formatted sd card, inserted it into the phone, booted into recovery, wiped all partitions (except data, because it not mountable), then rebooted the phone back into recovery again and I was able to access the "internal" data partition again, pulled the microsd out, put my rom on it and flashed the rom from the external sd. Try it, what have you got to loose.

Upvote 0
I was recently unable to mount /data as well. I was messing around with something in CarbonROM and then it happened.
  • I tried doing a factory reset form CWM, did not work.
  • I tried sideloading a clean CarbonROM install and that didn't work.
Only when I tried flashing AdvancedStock8 did it successfully overwrite /data partition. Here is the strange part: before this, when I'd flash new ROMs, I'd have ~200 MB of space on /data left. After this I had ~700 MB on a fresh CarbonROM flash.

Reactions: roadkill42
Upvote 0
Following up on the previous bit, after investigating some more I think I know what caused it. When you install xposed framework, make sure to clear your cache upon reboot, otherwise this might happen. If you can't get /data to wipe no matter what you do, try flashing AdvancedStockV8, then try booting into it. It should be stuck in a bootloop. Reboot your phone, and try wiping /data again, it should work.

Reactions: roadkill42
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones