• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't mount Desire as disk drive

biscuitlad

May 17, 2010
Yorkshire
OK - I have tried everything. Turning the phone on and off. Rebooting my PC. Done both of these multiple times.

Have changed settings in "Connect to PC" and re-set them to see if that would make a difference and have clicked and unclicked "Ask me..." option on connecting. Nada.

What is going on?!! The phone just starts charging, but I cannot get it to show up as a drive. It worked perfectly until I installed Handcent SMS (which I've since uninstalled). And have naturally rebooted the phone several times since....

yet it still doesn't work. I'm really at my wits end. I'm using the USB cable that came with the HTC car charger - but it surely can't be that...

but then what is causing it to not work? The only non-standard things I have on my phone are 3G Watchdog and the Astro file manager. Both of which didn't have any impact WRT to mounting the phone.

But now, having just bought some music from Amazon on my phone, I can't get my music or photos off the phone onto my PC. Help! :eek:

OK - I have tried everything. Turning the phone on and off. Rebooting my PC. Done both of these multiple times.

Have changed settings in "Connect to PC" and re-set them to see if that would make a difference and have clicked and unclicked "Ask me..." option on connecting. Nada.

What is going on?!! The phone just starts charging, but I cannot get it to show up as a drive. It worked perfectly until I installed Handcent SMS (which I've since uninstalled). And have naturally rebooted the phone several times since....

yet it still doesn't work. I'm really at my wits end. I'm using the USB cable that came with the HTC car charger - but it surely can't be that...

but then what is causing it to not work? The only non-standard things I have on my phone are 3G Watchdog and the Astro file manager. Both of which didn't have any impact WRT to mounting the phone.

But now, having just bought some music from Amazon on my phone, I can't get my music or photos off the phone onto my PC. Help! :eek:

You mean the connection is not appearing in the status bar? You have to drag down the status bar and choose the connection type. You know that, right?

Upvote 0
UPDATE: yep, it's the bloody cable. The two cables look practically identical, but I guess HTC sell one of them as a car charger, and that's all it can do. You can't mount the phone using that cable, even though it looks like a completely standard USB cable.

Seems a bit silly - but hope the information is useful to someone.

Upvote 0
I've used the same cable that came along with the box contents but all it does is charging and it won't sync or act as a disk drive. Any ideas on what i should do next? When i connect my phone to my pc and set usb settings to "disk drive" it recognises the phone as a disk drive but i can't seem to browse it. Whenever i attempt to open the drive, it says "please insert removable disk"

Upvote 0
Hi !
I also have the problem like you : can't make Desire as a disk drive and the pc don't give error report .
( pc windows 7 + htc sync 2.0.33 )

At last , I must take out the microSD card and insert it into slot again : everything OK .

Can you try it ?

Do you thing this is the problem of HTC Desire ?

You mean rebooting the phone and reinserting the micro sd card?

Upvote 0
Just thought i could add my 2pence worth. I had exactly same issue yesterday with non HTC cables and none worked although they were all micro usb cables. Tried a Nokia charger with micro usb - didnt work, tried a micro usb > usb2 cable with the plug adapter from a HTC hero - didnt work. tried same cable linked to a PC powered usb port - didnt work. Got home and plugged in the supplied phone cable,and now back in business. Now have my doubts about buying non genuine accessories, are these not going to work too?

Upvote 0
Hi scooby_r :

When I reinsert sd card to now : my Desire is good for choosing charge/sync/disk drive .
Sorry , I don't have any idea !
( I remember when pc can't see sd card as disk drive , pc reported process to active htc sync and driver successfully but don't report error . I must reinstall htc sync 2.0.33 again . )

Upvote 0
Not sure if this is any help to anyone but the Desire doesn't like being attached to a computer via USB extensions. The desire won't connect using my front USB ports or with an extension cable from the back USB ports. It only connects if the cable is plugged directly into the back USB ports. I should imagine this rules out a USB hub too but I don't have one to test.

Reactions: ricmo
Upvote 0
I realised that I had installed Startup Auditor... and disabled 'PC Sync'. I hadn't realised that mounting the SD card was a function of that.

I've signed up to these forums just to tell you that you weren't the only 'stupid' one who did this... I did too and spent most of today looking for a fix until I came across this! :)

Thank you very much!

Upvote 0
Not sure if this is any help to anyone but the Desire doesn't like being attached to a computer via USB extensions.

That's a great help carbonara. Thank you! A bit annoying having to unplug my USB extension and then rummaging round the back of the tower, but it worked, and it's easier than taking my SD card out of the phone each time.:)

Reactions: wolfas
Upvote 0
I really was surprised at the failure to mount the drive after the froyoo update,disk drive was not detected only charging.I read the threads here,changed the cable nothinng happenend,only charging.Finally i Switched off the mobile for sometime aaaand restarted it --everything was as before-working perfectly well,hope this maybe helpful to some of you guys

Upvote 0
Does anybody experiencing problems use a task manager?
If so, try and avoid killing system processes.
My MicroSD card stops being recognised after I use a task manager to kill processes, so I'm pretty sure that's the problem (at least in my case).
A phone restart resolves this issue for me.

By the way, does anybody know which process controls the disk-mounting so I can add it to my task manager ignore list?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones