1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can't Move Apps from Internal Storage to MicroSD Card Samsung Galaxy J3

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by LuckyAndroid27, Aug 25, 2018.

1. LuckyAndroid27

I recently got a 64 GB MicroSD and formatted it so now music, and most of gallery will go to SD card automatically. However, when I pull up the MicroSD Card on Settings > Device Maintenance > Storage there's a slot for Apps that's empty. This makes me think I can move apps to microSD and unfortunately when I open app settings for any app there's no option for change storage... I tried looking up a video and the app settings page has the option of change storage on other Samsung Smartphones, but not the J3. I just want to debunk my theory and see if it is possible to move apps to microSD.

2. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

As far as I know, the only proper method, after Android 5.1.1, to move apps to the SD card is to formt the SD card as internal storage.

This will delete anything that is on the card now, and since your device now considers the card as internal memory, it will treat it as such.

The main drawback is that the card will wear out very fast compared to being formated as external.

It will be written on constantly, and this is the wear factor for these cards.

The other drawbacks are that the card will only be useable on that particular device, and that in reallity only a portion of the app gets transfered anyway- not to mention that flash memory is slower than the built in memory, so that the apps on the card will probably be slower and you could even run into other issues with the app's widgets and other functions.

Generally, it is not considered a good idea to do this to your cards.

MrJavi likes this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Yeh, Samsung doesn't support this deprecated feature.

MrJavi likes this.
  4. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

Screenshot_2020-05-18-22-54-50.png Screenshot_2020-05-18-22-54-56.png Screenshot_2020-05-18-22-55-13.png
    The only way I am aware of is with a custom recovery and/or root.

#4 MrJavi, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    puppykickr likes this.

Samsung Galaxy J3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy J3 release date was June 2018. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 7570 Quad processor, and 2600mAh battery.

June 2018
Release Date
Reviews