1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Can't music in my phone storage to delete

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by ras_oscar, Jul 4, 2016.

1. ras_oscar

ras_oscar Newbie

Jul 4, 2016
    Male
    I have a HTC desire 626 running Android 5.1. When I go to settings/storage and look under phone storage/Music, I see there is 31.89 GB of music stored on the phone. All of the "on board: music I need is stored on the SD memory card. I would like to delete whatever music is on the phone to preserve storage space.

The following are the apps I have or have used to play music which may have stored files on my phone:

Pandora; Use regularly, I don't believe it stores music on the phone

Android music player: I have removed the SD card to verify that there is no internal music available to this app.

Spotify: used it for a while, determined I prefer Pandora. Deleted. Recently reinstalled to see if I can use it to locate and delete music files. Went to Home/settings /other/storage and changed to SD card storage. It "transferred" successfully. However, the music storage taken was unchanged. Went to home/your library/recently played and deleted 20 songs, one by one. Music storage size unchanged.

Connected the phone to my PC and browsed it using windows. No obvious location music stored on the phone.

The question I need answered: when I go to settings/storage and look under phone storage/Music, what directory is Android polling? Is it in the protected section of the phone that is unavailable? I am willing to do anything short of rooting the phone to recover this storage space. It's my phone, no app should be stealing storage from me!!!

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    When the phone shows storage by type it is collecting an aggregate number of all files considered to be "music" so it will be all files across all locations. You should be able to drill down into that to see actual file names.

3. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    Also use a file manager to find all unnecessary files and delete them

eshieldsvx4 likes this.
  4. ras_oscar

ras_oscar Newbie

Jul 4, 2016
    Male
    what file extensions besides .wav and .mp3 does android consider "music"?

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Off the top of my head, m4a, ogg, flac, sure there's others as well.

eshieldsvx4 and Dannydet like this.
  6. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    Do not delete your ringtones or notification audio files. Most music apps will give you the option to only show / play the folders you specify

eshieldsvx4 likes this.
  7. ras_oscar

ras_oscar Newbie

Jul 4, 2016
    Male
    If its all sounds that the system uses, I'm OK. It just seemed like 31MG was an awful lot of music data. Any chance you can tell me how much "music" you have storted on your phones? Perhaps the number isn't excessive after all.

8. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    MG? Don't you mean GB? I have 4GB of mp3s on my external SD card, and 21MB of audio files on my internal that are ringtones and notifications. Some of my mp3s are 7mb in size

9. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    In digital circles, a picture is worth 1024 words. ;)

Screenshot_july5-16.png

Dannydet likes this.
  10. ras_oscar

ras_oscar Newbie

Jul 4, 2016
    Male
    No, it was MB. I was looking to delete it because the data summary didn't say sounds it said music. I have an external memory card that I use to store all my music. If this really is sounds, spread across the entire OS, I can believe the system needs this data. My concern stemmed in part from the fact that I never downloaded ANY music. I copied from by desktop to memory card manually. Was concerned that some app was downloading music and consuming phone memory in a way that I was not able to control. Let's face it , one of the things that causes phones to be unusable is lack of storage space in the device to install updates ( not sure why the phone can't use the available space on the memory card, but that's a discussion for another day) Will keep an eye on the number and, if it doesn't grow, will stop worrying. Thanks for talking me down off the ledge.

11. eshieldsvx4

eshieldsvx4 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 16, 2014
    Male
    If your music is on external memory (/mnt/sdcard1), it won't be measured here. External SD has its own gauge below this one.

Make sure the SD card is mounted otherwise it won't show. Some third party file managers are restricted from accessing the external SD card and may not portray accurately how much space is left. The SD card restriction can be remedied by pointing the app to where your external SD card is mounted.

HTC and other OEM software usually writes the SD fix to their ROMs.