• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't mute notifications

Buttafa

Lurker
Sep 15, 2019
Hello. I'm hoping someone can help me. I have an app that notifies me throughout the day when it's time to take my meds/vitamins. I set it up so that I can get the pop-up without any sound (it's disruptive when I'm at work). Since the evening of Thursday, September 12th, the app has been making a sound when the notification pops up. I've tried everything I can think of to stop it: checked the app's settings, silenced the notifications volume, I even checked for app and phone updates. The only thing that works is when I put the media on mute. It's annoying and frustrating. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Each app has its own settings for notifications. You can go into apps then find the app and go into notifications and make adjustments there. Sometime an app can have different notification settings and you may need to dig in and find the settings tat turns off what you are after. It’s not phone specific.
That was the first thing I tried. Didn't work.

have you tried clearing cache for the app? maybe try a fresh install of the app if that does not work
Thanks. I tried that, didn't work either. Right now I'm just putting my media on mute while I'm at work. Hopefully there'll be an app/phone update or I find a solution.

Upvote 0
By nature of the OS, the app has to conform to the rules of Androids OS. So yes you can mute the app entirely. You just don’t see the setting. Every app I use I have them all set to certain notifications . These apps can have many many notifications and just turning off one notification may not turn others off. I’m certain you can disable the sound on the app.

You can also reach out to the developer of the app and explain what you are trying to do.

Upvote 0
If you can tell what app you are using perhaps someone else also uses it and can further help you with the settings. I understand about those annoying notifications and use different apps for different notifications for that very reason. I've found that my 3rd party alarm clock works best for my specific notifications as I can have loud and silent alarms with it while for regular reminders I use a tasks app or calendar app. I don't know if any of that rambling helps at all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones