1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can't open attachment in email

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Clivephoto, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Clivephoto

Clivephoto Guest

It's not that I don't have the appropruate app to view PDFs, the attachment shows up as a paperclip in the index view but ther's no button or anything above, in or below the body of the email to open it. I used to be able to do this but it appears to have vanished with the latest versuon of Android. or does the latest Android version remove usefull functionality and call it a feature?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

It's not that Android no longer handles email attachments, because I'm running the latest version and it works fine for me (PDF and otherwise). So it must be something about either the email or your particular software.

Unfortunately we don't have much to go on to work this out. For example, I don't know what email app you are using. Most Androids come with Google's GMail app plus another "email" app, but that second one will be different between different phones (e.g. Samsung will replace it with the Samsung email app, HTC with the HTC app, etc). I don't know whether carriers every replace it with their email app, but I'd not put it past some of them. And of course there are many others you can install yourself, which is what I do rather than use the supplied ones.

All I can really suggest is some tests: is the email itself OK, i.e. can you read it with a desktop or webmail client? If you send some other mails with attachments do you have the same problem? Does it depend on the attached file type? If you try a different email app can you read the attachment?

Unfortunately as a guest you can't reply, but if you'd like to discuss it and see whether we can work out what the problem is you could register (free) and either reply to this thread or post in our Android Lounge section, where more people will see it. There are plenty of people here who like a good puzzle and would be happy to try to work out what is going wrong here.