1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Can't open folder, shortcut icons can't show

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jumper1127, Jan 4, 2012.

1. jumper1127

jumper1127 Newbie
    None

Apr 17, 2011
    I have an HTC Inspire 4G with Android 2.3.3. The phone has never been rooted and I got the official software update from AT&T.

There are two problems which bother me a lot.

(1) I created a few folders on the "desktop". Often times when I try to open a folder it just doesn't do it. I have to restart my phone to make it work properly.

(2) The icons of shortcuts of apps installed on the SD card do not show properly in a folder. The icons are replaced by default Android icons.

Does anyone know how to solve those two problems? Especially the first one, since I don't want to restart my phone once a while.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Iguanaman

Iguanaman Lurker
    None

Aug 19, 2011
    Not sure about not being able to open a folder you've created other than you might have the phone's SD card mounted so the PC can read it and perhaps you need to set it back to "charge only" to access it.

As far as the icons go I do have experience with that issue. The HTC sense does not refresh icons whose programs are installed on your SD card after a reboot in a desktop folder. Basically the SD card isn't "ready" when the HTC Sense is trying to access those icons. If you have some programs in that folder that are only installed on the phone side, those will show up okay but not ones installed on the SD card. You can select a different theme, then go back to the original theme, you can use "manage applications" to move a program from the SD card to the phone and then back to the SD card again. Basically you are trying to force the HTC sense to reload the desktop and refresh those icons. You have to do this every time you reboot your phone though.

While getting the HTC sense to reload the desktop works, it is a pain. I opted to try a different desktop program (in my case "Go Launcher") from the Android Market. It replaces the HTC sense (doesn't remove it you just get to decide which you want to run) and it not only does correctly refresh those icons in folders but provided me with a lot of new options and features not available in HTC Sense. It also allowed me to create folders in the main "applications" page and I was able to move all the crappy AT&T programs I cannot uninstall into a folder and out of my way. Plus it is free.

jumper1127 likes this.
  3. jumper1127

jumper1127 Newbie
    None

Apr 17, 2011
    Thank you very much for your suggestions!

I'm pretty sure my phone was not connected to a PC while the problem with opening a folder occurred. It's completely random.

Do I need to root my phone before installing Go Launcher? It sounds like a good app.

4. RigelX

RigelX Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 13, 2011
    Alabama
    I'm not sure about Go Launcher. I use Launcher Pro and didn't need to root, but I did need to get Home Switcher to go back and forth between it and Sense.
    Nothing I've read makes me think you'd have to root for Go Launcher either.